Authentic English Toffee Recipe Help

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Authentic English Toffee Recipe Help

Postby RodinBangkok » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 am

I'm looking for a traditional English Toffee recipe for an upcoming catering event. I read that most of the recipes listed on the web are an Americanized version, that being the toffee is spread in a thin layer then coated with chocolate and nuts. I have no problem testing some of those, other than the fact I'd like to confirm that style of English toffee is in fact a traditional English style. If not perhaps someone can point me to some authentic recipes. I've found that some use only inverted sugars and perhaps some nuts or raisins. Any authentic recipes greatly appreciated.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:15 pm

I've not made them, but there's some from Mrs Beeton here:

http://comestepbackintime.wordpress.com ... eet-gifts/

...and recipe 1597 here:

http://www.exclassics.com/beeton/beetpdf3.pdf

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Wheels, thanks so much. I was able to use the Beetons book to find that the name is Everton Toffee, doing a search for that brought up a lot of information for me. The Beetons Book is a great resource, appreciate the help!

Rod
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Dogfish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:26 pm

I love how the port-wine drink "Negus" is recommended for children's parties in the Beeton book. Wish my mom had thought of that back in the day...
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Treacle Toffee

Postby Fatmat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi, here's another - slightly different but a very traditional toffee nonetheless.

Treacle toffee -http://britishfood.about.com/od/festivecooking/r/parkin.htm

Treacle toffee is slightly bitter because of the black treacle and a little more adult but is very yummy.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Thanks for the info about treacle toffee. I have already done some research on that while investigating Everton. I've found one recipe for Cyflaith that I will be trying, found here.

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/cym/f ... m-cyflaith

I found the Noson Gyflaith (The Toffee Evening) interesting to read about while researching. Now if I can just get my Welsh pronunciation down a bit I can talk a bit about these recipes and their history if asked.

I will probably go with both styles this time, as I always find that going that extra bit and offering some variations, and having a bit of knowledge about them pays off.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:41 pm

I can't fully remember the recipe we used when I was young, but i'm sure it was 1 x tin of Tate & Lyle black treacle and 2 x tins of Fussels condensed milk. Just mix together and bring to the boil 'til correct temp' is reached, then place on tray to cool, scoring into squares before setting. A tin of Golden syrup can replace the Treacle for a lighter toffee.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby tomwal » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 pm

I used to work for a toffee maker, who supplied the leading supermarkets, their award winning toffee which was made for a very famous high street store contained, glucose, sugar, double creamed condensd milk, fat, salt and butter, I'm sorry I can't give you the exact recipe as I used to make it in 1000 kg batches.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general