New Grinder... Help!!!

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

New Grinder... Help!!!

Postby centex99 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:16 am

So... I started out with my kitchen aid attachments... then quickly bought a 5# stuffer. Great investment. Now I'm ready to buy a better grinder...
I was leaning towards the #12 LEM or #12 Cabelas brand... however, have the opportunity to buy a #8 LEM (big bite variant) for $140 (NIB).
I'd also consider the $99 #12 kitchener from northerntool or equivalent from harbor freight....
I'm having a hard time justifying $400 over the $140... though not sure how the LEM#8 compares to the others... I'm leaning towards the #8 big bite since it has the same neck diameter anyway as the #12 LEM that I was considering for $400.
centex99
Newly Registered

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:32 am

I know folks who grind up elk with the LEM #8.
It's a great deal at that price.
I would go with it without hesitation!

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Re: New Grinder... Help!!!

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 am

centex99 wrote:So... I started out with my kitchen aid attachments... then quickly bought a 5# stuffer. Great investment. Now I'm ready to buy a better grinder...
I was leaning towards the #12 LEM or #12 Cabelas brand... however, have the opportunity to buy a #8 LEM (big bite variant) for $140 (NIB).
I'd also consider the $99 #12 kitchener from northerntool or equivalent from harbor freight....
I'm having a hard time justifying $400 over the $140... though not sure how the LEM#8 compares to the others... I'm leaning towards the #8 big bite since it has the same neck diameter anyway as the #12 LEM that I was considering for $400.

I use the #12 Kitchener and I have no complaints, great grinder for the price! The LEM is a better machine so go for that if you want the higher quality one. However, if you go for the Kitchener like me you won't go wrong
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 pm

I would go with the Northern tool #12, I have two of these( one each at my two homes) For the money they work great, the #8 would requier meat to be cut up smaller to get it down the throat therefore adding to your grind time. even if the throat is the same size the smaller plate will slow things down, getting a replacement knife and plates for a #8 might be a chore, #12 can be had almost everywhere. like gander mtn, bass pro, cabelas, sausagemaker, Lem, butcher packer , stuffers etc.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies