Pork pie pastry

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Pork pie pastry

Postby hiram1296 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 am

Hi,all. I've been interested in pie making for years, but one thing puzzles me, you read the pastry ingredients on commercially made pork pies and its basic flour lard and water, so how do they produce. Very dark brown fatty pastry without burning it, and without boil over? Are they misleading us and adding other ingredients
Regards.
hiram1296
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am

The pies in the pics in the 5th and 10th posts in this thread were made with a hot water crust pastry: flour, salt, water, lard. The pastry is about the color of light brown sugar when you're finished working it. The darkness of the crust on the finished product may be affected by brushing with egg yolk, whole egg wash, or milk. Boil over is affected by the moisture, fat content and amount of the filling in the pie. These were made in a small, commercial shop, the way all the pies are made. Of course, in large commercial operations, production can be refined and controlled for consistency, but boil over still happens. There are lots of videos of pork pie production on Youtube, and boil over and some pies darker than others happens.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

They're not misleading you - apart from seasonings, there's nothing else but flour, lard and water. That's what I use, and what's used around here to make the Famous Melton Mowbray Pork Pies.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby hiram1296 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi, thanks for your replies, I'm still not convinced, I used to deliver to Pork Farms in Nottingham. They have 2 flour hoppers, one is Turnover Viscount flour and the other is Cold pie Tweed flour. The fat comes in by tanker. Not block lard, the best pastry I have produced is by rubbing in half the lard and melting the rest with water at 26c.
Brian
hiram1296
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 pm

I guess it depends on the producer. I see what you mean now, do the big boys cheat? Well yes, I'm sure they do. Here's the pastry spec from a supermarket's own pie:

wheat flour, lard, water, animal fat and vegetable oil including hydrogenated vegetable oil (with emulsifier mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), salt, egg.

...and for a Pork Farm's 295g pie:

Pork Filling (44%), Pastry (42%), Jelly (14%), Milk, Pork Filling contains Pork (52%), Pork Fat, Water, Wheat Flour, Potato Starch, Salt, Wheat Starch, Pepper, Yeast Extract, Sugar, Dextrose, Pastry contains Wheat Flour, Pork Lard, Salt, Jelly contains Water, Pork Gelatine, Salt.

Trading standards would be very interested if they are using other that what they specify.

The real point is though, that you don't need anything other than lard, flour, water and seasonings to make great hot water crust pastry as can be seen in the photo of a somewhat battered piece of game pie here:

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=539

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am

hiram1296 wrote:Hi, thanks for your replies, I'm still not convinced,

If I was to promise to fly you out my way to show how we do it proper like you must promise to buy everyone on here a pint of beer :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby corromant » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:00 pm

I've used both of the recipe's on this page http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=157 & they both produce a beautiful golden crust.

Conrad
corromant
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 am

Corromant,
This is my first effort to make these Pommie pies. They turned out extremely well, taste was nice. They are gone already and my wife ordered me to make a heap more. Reminds her of home, being a Pom.
I will try every recipe I find on the forum for these beauties. I might even make some with hot Paprika in them. Oooops!!!
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am

Nice pies Jan.
SteveW
Registered Member

Re: Pork pie pastry

Postby MeatWrangler » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:02 pm

I had a go at a hot water crust pie this weekend and it was a bit of a disaster. I planned on using a small cake ring, but when I came to get it out of the cupboard all I could find was my bigger 23cm one. I pressed on regardless, which was probably my first mistake. Anyway, on cooking the pie sank, the top split in a couple of places (despite a vent in the top), and also stuck slightly (to add insult to injury). With all the damage there was no way to pour any stock in afterwards. It still tastes great but it won't win any beauty contests, it's also missing the jelly.

Now, I'm assuming my problems were caused by 1) too big a diameter and 2) pastry too thin

Does anyone with more experience have any pointers for a successful pie?
MeatWrangler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:58 pm

I'd never be so presumptuous as to recommend my own recipe, so:

corromant wrote:I've used both of the recipe's on this page http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=157 & they both produce a beautiful golden crust.
Conrad

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:00 am

wheels wrote:I'd never be so presumptuous as to recommend my own recipe, so:

corromant wrote:I've used both of the recipe's on this page http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?e=157 & they both produce a beautiful golden crust.
Conrad

HTH

Phil

I would use his second one as it is a traditional one for hot water pastry, another hint is to leave for 24 hours before using

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXwwDKpC0f8
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby MeatWrangler » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 am

Great tips, thanks both! I'll have another try this coming weekend
MeatWrangler
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:11 am

MeatWrangler wrote:Great tips, thanks both! I'll have another try this coming weekend

More reading that may or may not help :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9937&start=45
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby AndyH » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

MeatWrangler wrote:I had a go at a hot water crust pie this weekend and it was a bit of a disaster. I planned on using a small cake ring, but when I came to get it out of the cupboard all I could find was my bigger 23cm one. I pressed on regardless, which was probably my first mistake. Anyway, on cooking the pie sank, the top split in a couple of places (despite a vent in the top), and also stuck slightly (to add insult to injury). With all the damage there was no way to pour any stock in afterwards. It still tastes great but it won't win any beauty contests, it's also missing the jelly.

Now, I'm assuming my problems were caused by 1) too big a diameter and 2) pastry too thin

Does anyone with more experience have any pointers for a successful pie?

Sounds like the same issues I have had!

Several times now.

I'm not too experienced with pastry, so got the other half to help me out with this. Still no joy.

Time to invest in a proper pie case I think!
AndyH
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cookery in general