Spanish charcuteria book

Spanish charcuteria book

Postby charcuteriasos » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I just had to re-sign up since it's been awhile :(

I wanted to let you all know the awesome news that I will be releasing a book at the end of the year about my time learning the charcuterie of Spain.

It's called Charcutería: The Soul of Spain, and will have a foreword by James Beard award-winning chef José Andrés. It's going to have a bunch of traditional techniques and recipes for Spanish charcuterie and pork butchery, as well as recipes and other little tricks I picked up working with the folks in the Extremaduran countryside.

We just got back from visiting Spain for the photoshoot and the guys up in Asturias did a little video about it. Here's the link: http://www.whereisasturias.com/?p=6602

Please feel free to write me if you have any requests or questions for the book--really trying to make something that my fellow meatheads and sausage nerds can get into.

Ciao,

jeff
charcuteriasos
Registered Member

Re: Spanish charcuteria book

Postby NCPaul » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm

The video is terrific and I'm hungry even though I just had lunch. :D Can the forum help you test the recipes? You would get some good feedback from a wide range of sausage makers and we would get to try some awesome sausages.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:20 pm

That looks as if it will be a superb book. I look forward to reading, and making produce from it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ericrice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Agree - video looks amazing. Only issue I have is the end of year is a long way off!! Already looking forward to getting a copy.

Without giving all the specifics a few of us here have given "Salumi" very honest reviews on Amazon with an eye to the "meat head". Reading some of the more critical reviews will give you a good idea of the shortcomings of that book from our perspective. With that said, in this instance your recipes appear to be something very new and the comments on Salumi's recipes appear not to be relevant to your book. Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Salumi-The-Craft- ... 0393068595
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:21 pm

Jeff, saw this on Salt Cured Pig group, great work (and a great place!) look forward to reading!
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 am

This IS awesome news, Jeff! I'm very excited to hear about this. As you speculate, your book will be the only one of its kind, so far, and a great contribution. Hopefully, your book will make much of what I've been working on in the "embutido project", here, obsolete. It's so difficult to dig out information without being there, and I haven't been able to get back since my last research trip. I may even advance order (and I very rarely do that). Will be emailing you some questions and thoughts.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 am

Ere' how come you two seem to know this great guy (and the superb book he's working on) and I don't! :oops: :cry: :cry:

Is there something I should know? :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 am

vagreys wrote: Hopefully, your book will make much of what I've been working on in the "embutido project", here, obsolete.

Like you say there has been so little written on Spanish Charcuteria, your project has been an amazing treasure trove of information and inspiration. Two pieces of work providing an insight into regional variations and traditions will not present a problem!! :D

Love Asturias, great Pig country.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby charcuteriasos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 am

Wow--you guys absolutely humble me with your responses. Thanks so much for the support.

I'm totally down for the help of some recipe testers--feel free to PM me if interested and I'll do my best to respond to everyone. I definitely want to make a book that makes sense and does honor to the topic!

Un abrazo a todos!
charcuteriasos
Registered Member

Postby charcuteriasos » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:43 am

vagreys wrote:This IS awesome news, Jeff! I'm very excited to hear about this. As you speculate, your book will be the only one of its kind, so far, and a great contribution. Hopefully, your book will make much of what I've been working on in the "embutido project", here, obsolete. It's so difficult to dig out information without being there, and I haven't been able to get back since my last research trip. I may even advance order (and I very rarely do that). Will be emailing you some questions and thoughts.

No te preocupes, tio... if I have learned anything in my time researching and learning about charcutería it's that there's always more than one way to make something. Or, as the Spaniards say, there's at least 1 chorizo recipe for each person who makes it.

I'd love to chat further in PM and get your thoughts.

j
charcuteriasos
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

i'm looking forward to a short visit to Granada for my birthday in April, :) where i will hunt down local butchers/charcuteries to sample their wares. Already practicing my 'Espanol' - hopefully enough to ask a few questions re' recipes/ingredients. :wink:

Would love to be in the real Spain during the 'Matanza' and help to turn the pig into products using traditional methods. Ah well, can always dream..... :cry:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby charcuteriasos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 am

April is a little late for matanza season, unfortunately. I can point you in a few directions if you are interested in arranging a matanza or other charcuterie-based activities. I've got friends in low places, if you know what I mean.... :D
charcuteriasos
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:Jeff, saw this on Salt Cured Pig group, great work (and a great place!) look forward to reading!

What and where's the Salt Pig Group?

Phil :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:42 pm

Matanza every thursday here!! :)

Facebook of all things, Phil .
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm