Black bacon

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Re: Black bacon

Postby Greyham » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 am

Shaun wrote:Has anyone come across a recipe for black bacon, using beer and black treacle in the curing process?

Shaun

I make a Burrington Black bacon every week as one of my standard products from my woodland Tamworth pigs. It is delicious esp with the additional fat.
Your idea of using a beer is a good one and does work, esp if a stout or strong traitional ale. Only a small amount is needed though.

Burrington Black Bacon
5kg loin with rind
500ml Black Treacle
20g freshly milled black pepper
200g dark muscavado sugar
250g salt
25g cure 1#
150ml stout

1. warm the treacle first.
2. mix all ingredients together thoroughly
3. put on surgical gloves and have large vac pack bags at the ready
4. pour the cure which is like thick tar, into a tray large enough to dip the pork into helping to cover all over.
5. now covered drop each one onto a large vac bag. repeat
6. vac pack very tightly i do number 30.
7. this tight packing will help force into skin as well as flesh. leave for seven day. turning every day.
8. Remove from bags wash off and pat dry. Yo will notice the meat is incredibly dark on both sides.
Leave to mature for at least one week. patience is everything
9. It will harden beautifully
10. This bacon is dependent on the quality of pork you use. Do not waste your time buying from a super market, your wasting your time. The fat is paramount
11. I slice on number 7. on my 1960's manual slicing machine similar to image
12. vac pac on number 25
Finally
this bacon is stunning i love making it and love the compliments. It is called burrington black bacon as i live and make it in Burrington near Cheddar
Greyham
BANNED

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6002&hilit=easy+black+bacon this our one, developed off teh back of Laurence (This Little Piggys) blog years ago.

Rum is the booze of choice in this little beauty.

Tamworth and Bacon were meant for one another!

PS I have a Burrington a couple of miles from here
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:28 pm

seems a lot of cure unless there is some left over or something you are not sharing.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:32 pm

UPDATE.

Just pulled the black bacon from cure for rinsing....here's what it looks like at this stage;

just for comparison...here's the black & maple side by side......

You can clearly see the effect the molasses has had on the color. Both are in the fridge developing the pellicle, the maple will be hot smoked monday (tomorrow) and the black will spend an extra day in the fridge and cold smoked on tuesday. On a side note...i think i need to find a better supplier of bellies :roll:

I'll check back later :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Well...here is the black bacon after a 6hr cold smoke.....

I have to say it looks great, however I was a little disappointed in the flavor. I anticpated molasses coming through, but it really didn't. It is definitely smokier than my other hot smoked bacon's. Overall it is tasty enough and wont go to waste, but was a little bland for my liking.

I think next time I'll try vac packing it in the cure, and maybe add a little more salt.

I've never cold smoked bacon before. Can anyone tell me why cold smoking is preferred over hot?
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby Sojourn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:38 am

Looks really good, as for why cold smoke over hot smoke...

Cold smoking doesn't cook the bacon!
Sojourn
Registered Member

Postby vendeenne » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:50 am

I always use a 'dry' black treacle cure for my bacon. I use the usual amount of dry curing salt, then place the pork in a large vacuum pack bag, pour in a liberal amount of treacle (approx 1/2-3/4 tin) - I now buy the treacle in 5 litre containers - and vacuum seal. It doesn't matter how carefully, or not, you spread/don't spread the treacle, because in a matter of hours it becomes loose enough for the contents to mix together. I stack in the bottom of the fridge for 4-6 days, turning 1ce or 2ce daily. Then continue as usual, with the washing/drying/smoking etc. The flavour is to die for!
vendeenne
Newly Registered

Postby Shuswap » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm looking at the Burlington black bacon recipe and pondering the salt and cure quantities. My regular dry cured bacon is made with 2% salt and .25% cure #1. In this recipe the salt is 5% and cure is .5% - what say you baconators?
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm

The recipe says to dip the meat into the curing mixture but doesn't say how much sticks to the meat. I would follow your usual process with the treacle added in.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Likewise, I'd use your usual cure although I'd increase the salt a bit to counter the sweetness.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Shuswap » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks NCPaul and Phil. "dip the belly in the mixture" is quite a fine point easily overlooked when reading the process. I'll be seeing Robert (Brican) tomorrow - you can imagine his response :D
Shuswap
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:45 pm

I wouldn't rule out making Quiet Waters and This little Piggy's recipe - they're two people whose cures I trust completely:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6002

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats