my grinder setup..improvements? best grinder to motorize?

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

my grinder setup..improvements? best grinder to motorize?

Postby haeffnkr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Here are pics of my grinder setup I made with a #22 Enterprise grinder.
I used a 1/8" plate and sharpened knife this weekend with in in its virgin run.
Grinder is turning at about 90 rpm.... the grinder never boggs down... lots of power with my pulley setup.
All in all, It worked... double grinder is a chore...
We double grinded about 50 pounds and single passed 100 more pork and chicken.

I was not as impressed as I had hoped though.
The Enterprise augers seem to be shallow at the end it seemed to have choked itself more than I have seen other model grinders work, including my little old Hobart grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixed.
Seems like a more agressive auger setup in the grinder housing and auger attachment is what I need to keep the meat flying through the grinder.

I really want to know -
What is the best grinder design and to motorize?
I dont think using a #32 grinder would make me any happier?

thanks Kevin

haeffnkr
Registered Member

Re: my grinder setup..improvements? best grinder to motorize

Postby vagreys » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm

A very compact setup. Is it possible that your Enterprise auger is simply worn, or is this inherent in the Enterprise design? That's where it would show the most wear. I have a used Porkert #10 that I got about 20 years ago, at a garage sale, virtually unused, and it has done a great job. Perhaps you just need to update your grinder to something like a Chop-Rite, or at a minimum, look at a replacement auger? Replacement parts can be found for the Enterprise grinders and stuffers.

There is also a limit to the throughput of a manual grinder, just as there is for an electric. Grinders rapidly loose efficiency when you try to push too much through too fast. Is it possible your setup is cranking too fast for the grinder? Perhaps you need a #32, instead.

Just some ideas to consider. Good luck.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby haeffnkr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 am

I dont think the auger is really worn... but not sure the design is as good as more recent ones?

http://www.texastastes.com/p113.htm

There are 2 different augers here .... mine is like the Pokert model... but the Chop Rite one looks like it would really pull some meat.

I guess I need to see some videos of Enterprise grinders in action.

I have since seen a few other all in one electric units on Ebay.. but they too have some deep augers with them.

I want something that really spits out the meat, just not sure what to try next.

thanks Kevin
haeffnkr
Registered Member

Postby haeffnkr » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:44 am

Here is my auger -

Here is the auger I have found on the chop rite site.

So will the chop rite auger perform any better?
Will the deep threads push the meat faster/better?

thanks Kevin
haeffnkr
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:10 am

haeffnkr wrote:...I dont think using a #32 grinder would make me any happier?...

You will get greater throughput (kg/minute) without smearing using a #32 vs a #22.
haeffnkr wrote:...I want something that really spits out the meat, just not sure what to try next.

thanks Kevin

I see what you mean about the depth of the thread between the Chop-Rite and the Porkert. I've never had a complaint with the performance of my Porkert. That said, the thread of the auger on my electric is deeper, and I do like the way it makes short work of the grinding.
haeffnkr wrote:...So will the chop rite auger perform any better?
Will the deep threads push the meat faster/better?..

Kevin, "better" is subjective, and to some degree, this may be a case of unrealistic expectations, I don't know. If your example of a 200+ lb. batch is any indication, and this is a typical batch size for you, then you may need more grinder to "really spit out the meat". That's a small commercial batch size, and larger than most (not all) home sausage makers ever do in a batch. Remember that, by design, a #22 will have an optimum throughput, beyond which it cannot realistically produce. A #32 will have a higher throughput, but it, too, will have a maximum realistic throughput. It may be that your expectation is more realistic for a multi-hp commercial grinder.

The deeper thread will mean a higher volume of meat moving through per turn, for higher throughput with less effort. Then, your limitation will be the resistance created by the plate and any backup that might cause. If you can put more through with less effort, but you have to slow down the rpm of the auger to keep from smearing the meat, then the trade-off may not give you as much gain as you'd hoped. I don't know.

A 5-hp commercial grinder will do a 200-lb batch in short order, but I don't know what your budget is. If it were me, and I were going to switch to another grinder, and I didn't have several thousand dollars to spend on a good, used commercial grinder, I'd switch to a #32 with a deeper thread on the auger. The flywheel to convert it to motorized would require building a new housing for the setup, but that's a minor consideration. I'd have to replace all the knives and plates, of course. The least cost approach would be to replace the Enterprise with a Chop-Rite #22, and see how it goes.

While I appreciate your frustration, it's hard to say what would satisfy your expectation.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby haeffnkr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:22 am

vagreys wrote:
haeffnkr wrote:...I dont think using a #32 grinder would make me any happier?...

You will get greater throughput (kg/minute) without smearing using a #32 vs a #22.
haeffnkr wrote:...I want something that really spits out the meat, just not sure what to try next.

Thanks vagreys !!
I was about going down that road before now but I am running down it.
I am going to sell what I got and start over.

Yes I wish I had a duplicate of Dad's 3phase hobart grinder that has a deflector shield on the plate end to keep the meat from hitting the wall... but I aint spending that kind of money... nor do I have the room to take up that much space in my basement shop, so I need something smaller footprint and cheaper.

So ... what brand of #32 do you recommend? Anything besides chop rite that would be bit cheaper?

What RPM do I turn it at?
What kind of knives and plates work best? the original style knives and plates in carbon steel?

thanks Kevin
haeffnkr
Registered Member

Postby haeffnkr » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello,
Any one have an idea of what the RPM should be for a #32?

I got this unit - http://www.chicagofoodmachinery.com/pro ... 11020.aspx but have not played with it yet...might return it.. not sure.

What about an Alfa or Porkert or Gahre models? Where can I get a real version of these grinders?

thanks Kevin
haeffnkr
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies