Small Stainless Hand Grinder

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Small Stainless Hand Grinder

Postby Xiangchangwang » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:41 am

I tried using this to grind and stuff sausage:

I found about a 100g of the meat never came out of the grinder! It just clogs in voids within the machine. If you’re making many kilo’s of sausage, this wouldn’t be a problem but, I’m new to this game and still at that experimental stage. I make very small batches (max 1 kilo).

It’s also a bugger to clean and as it’s not stainless steel and tends to rust at every opportunity.

I was at a market the other day when I came across this:

It’s beautifully made, it’s stainless steel, easy to clean, and doesn’t eat my meat like the old one. It’s perfect for experimenting and making very small batches. It came with 2 different diameter die, small and big (lol). Haven’t actually measured the die holes yet.

This is the unit:

And this is it in comparison with the old one:

Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Re: Small Stainless Hand Grinder

Postby wheels » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 pm

The newer one looks far better made.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 pm

A slice or so of bread put through the grinder at the end of stuffing will force more of the sausage mix out

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Xiangchangwang » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:49 pm

captain wassname wrote:A slice or so of bread put through the grinder at the end of stuffing will force more of the sausage mix out

Jim

I tried that. I was left with a nice mix of raw meat and minced bread.

Not sure how that would fry up in a skin..?
Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Postby Xiangchangwang » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm

wheels wrote:The newer one looks far better made.

Phil

For experimental small batches, it's priceless.

I know motorised mincers and stuffers are sooooo easy but, they're such a ball ache to clean up after use.
Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Postby Xiangchangwang » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:51 pm

I'd be interested in what other members use for experimental, small batch runs of sausage.

I can't believe someone would make 100kgs of an untried recipe without a small test batch. I don't know..? Maybe i'm wrong? I just know the process :-(

Please advise...
Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:01 pm

I use the mincer/grinder attachment on my Kenwood Chef.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby vagreys » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:28 pm

Xianchangwang wrote:
captain wassname wrote:A slice or so of bread put through the grinder at the end of stuffing will force more of the sausage mix out

Jim

I tried that. I was left with a nice mix of raw meat and minced bread...

If you watch, you can see when bread mixed with meat starts to emerge from the grinder, and you stop at that point. A very little bit of bread in the batch won't be noticeable. You can't get every last bit of meat out of the grinder, and frankly you wouldn't want to. Most of what stays behind in the grinder is sinew, connective tissue, and cartilage. I agree that you don't want to leave behind 100g of viable sausage meat, and a slice or two of bread is an easy way to get the last of the useable meat out of the grinder. If you stop as soon as you see bread start to emerge in the mix, then there will be very little of that bread in the batch.
Xianchangwang wrote:...I know motorised mincers and stuffers are sooooo easy but, they're such a ball ache to clean up after use.

I guess I never really thought about it, like that. Whether I use a manual grinder or an electric, I still have to clean the chute/body, auger, knife, plate(s) and collar, so wiping down the motor housing never seemed like much additional work, whether we're talking about my dedicated electric grinder or the Kitchenaid.
Xianchangwang wrote:I'd be interested in what other members use for experimental, small batch runs of sausage.

I can't believe someone would make 100kgs of an untried recipe without a small test batch...

I can't believe a home sausagemaker would be working with 100kg batches. With experience, you can analyze a recipe and have a pretty good idea of how it will taste, without making up a test batch, but as a matter of practice, I'd never commit 100kg of meat to an untested recipe. Besides that, I always end up tweaking a recipe to my taste, so I'd be making a test batch, regardless. If I'm doing a small test batch, I generally do not case it, because I have a pretty good idea how it will taste, cased, from how a patty cooks up. If it were a cured recipe, then I suppose I'd probably do a 5-lb batch before scaling up to a large batch. In any case, for small batches, I'd use either the Kitchenaid grinder attachment or my #10 manual grinder, whichever is at hand. For a larger test batch, I'd switch over to the electric grinder. I always use my stuffer, though, so the batch size really makes no difference in that regard.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Xiangchangwang » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 pm

vagreys wrote:
Xianchangwang wrote:I generally do not case it, because I have a pretty good idea how it will taste, cased, from how a patty cooks up.

Who is Patty..?
Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:16 pm

A mastic gun works for experiments.
Patty is maybe peppermint patty from peanuts.

Jim
now merely fat
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby ericrice » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Xianchangwang wrote:
vagreys wrote:
Xianchangwang wrote:I generally do not case it, because I have a pretty good idea how it will taste, cased, from how a patty cooks up.

Who is Patty..?

Xianchangwang - assuming you are not kidding and the questions is due to language difference/translation - a patty (pattie) is lose sausage (not cased) and formed into a burger shape.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Xianchangwang wrote:
vagreys wrote:

Who is Patty..?

To check the flavor, I take a couple of ounces of the sausage mixture and form it into a burger shape, and fry it in a small skillet, so I can get an idea of how the sausage tastes when cooked. Of course, the flavors blend and develop if the sausage mixture is allowed to rest for a day, but this is just a small test so the seasoning can be adjusted, if necessary.

If you were joking, well, I'm not in the habit of cooking my friends named Patty, but I do have probably have recipes! :wink:
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Xiangchangwang » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:02 pm

I did some research, you mean burger. Hamburger = pork, beef burger = beef, chicken burger = chicken, etc...

Why do you call all of these a girls name..?
Xiangchangwang
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

I suspect it has its origin from the French word Paté, but could be wrong. Other than that source I have no idea why. Just one of those english words that sort of evolves a special meaning.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Dibbs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Nah. Hamburger was originally a typical meat product from Hamburg surely, same as Frankfurter from Frankfurt and Wiener from Vienna (Wien in German).
Dibbs
Registered Member

Next

Return to Equipment & Supplies