THE BEST PIZZA BASE EVER.......

All about bread

Re: THE BEST PIZZA BASE EVER.......

Postby tomwal » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:47 am

Rik vonTrense wrote:PIZZA DOUGH....

Rest assured you will never taste a better one.....I have messed about with pizza bases for ages trying this best one and that best one and I did it because I got fed up seeing my family order these take away's from pizza hut and they cough up like twenty quid at the door....

Well I am not tight but I think that is disgracful.....so I got to work.
Now I make up a batch of what I call singles.....this makes a breakfast plate sized pizza that is just right for one hungry bod.
They take about half an hour to make but this is spread over several hours but you are not tied to the bench and you can do other things whilst they are rising.

Using an American cup........

3.5 cups of bread flour.
1 cup of warm water about 100F.
2 sachets of easy blend yeast.
2 Tbsp Honey.
Quarter cup olive oil.
Half tsp salt.
Tablespoon of Italian herbs.
2 Tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
2 crushed cloves of garlic to a paste.

Mix the dry stuff together.
Put the honey, oil and garlic paste into the water and whisk it.
Add this to the flour and make into a dough as if making bread,

Set aside to prove .....punch down after an hour and leave to rise for another hour.

Punch down again and weigh off into eight pieces about 150gm apiece.
Let them rest for ten mins covered in plastic.
Then press into circular shape or square if you prefer.
Let them rest and then have another go at getting them to the size you want either by stretching or tossing them or even with a rolling pin.

Leave to rise again but before putting them into the oven you must prick them all over with a fork....go right through them this will stop them bubbling and rising out of shape with air pockets.

I use a couple of bake stones in my oven and partly cook two at a time I also dress the stones with corn meal (polenta) this stops them sticking and I also use it on the peel for getting them in and out of the oven.

Just cook them for about seven mins at 220F so that they a just slightly brown and when they are cold or even hot they are ready for the topping of your choice..

So brush the tops with olive oil and then your sauce and any other meat and cheese topping you want to add and either put under them the grill or in a meduim oven till the cheese bubbles and browns,.........enjoy.

Tips....they will freeze very well just wrap them in cling film.

THESE ARE SO NICE THAT YOU CAN EAT THEM ON THEIR OWN WITHOUT A TOPPING.

Bon Appetite.

I realise this is an older post , but I wanted to make a comment, this is by far the best Pizza dough I have ever tasted, not only great Pizza'a but lovely flat bread, roll very thin and do on a griddle pan, a little tinkering with the recipe and delicious Naan bread, magic, thanks very much.

Wal

tomwal
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

Rik passed away several years ago, but he has left us a superb legacy in his many wonderful recipes on this forum.
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tomwal » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

saucisson wrote:Rik passed away several years ago, but he has left us a superb legacy in his many wonderful recipes on this forum.

Thank you for telling me.

Wal
tomwal
Registered Member

Postby homer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:35 pm

FWIW ive dabbled with pizza crisper pans, baking sheets and even bought a pizza stone and peeler
the best way ive found for me is to use a decent heavy french skillet..which is just a frying pan with higher sides basically ..use a circulon one here
can warm it a little before and wipe over with olive oil then make the dough up in it and pop it in the oven..keeps every thing hot and cooks perfect pizza with a crispy bottom too..seems common sense to use it in place of stones and other items as it does everything you want..non stick, heavy bottom and sides to holds the heat, its oven proof, you can make the pizza up in it, prewarm it do get the dough rising a little and has a handle on it :mrgreen:

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/Circulon-Infinite-30cm-French-Skillet-80677.html
Other half moaned on about me finding new hobbies ..found this site..now she's sorry!!
homer
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Bread Making