dishwasher

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

dishwasher

Postby seagoon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:56 am

Hi everyone
I recently did a stupid thing by putting all the metal parts of my Breville meat grinder MG1
into my dishwasher and when they came out all the shine has gone and I am left with dull grey parts
that have a black type of soot on them. I have washed them again by hand, and it (the soot) has come of but I am now wondering IS IT STILL SAFE TO MINCE MEAT WITH??
Any help would be appreciated
seagoon
Newly Registered

Re: dishwasher

Postby DanMcG » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm

I do it all the time, but can't say it's safe or not. The dishwasher soap removed most of the anodizing off the aluminum leaving you with just plan cast aluminum.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:54 pm

It will be fine to use, the dishwasher powder attacks aluminium as you have found out.
If you use a chrome cleaner you will be able to polish it back up and then handwash with mild solution of detergent but not dishwasher powder.
regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby seagoon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi and thanks Gary
My son also told me its the salt in the washer thats done it, so I will give it a go and see if I can bring back the shine
Thanks for your help
Kind Regards Dave
seagoon
Newly Registered

Postby kimgary » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Dave, its nothing to do with the salt in the dishwasher, its a caustic component of the dishwasher powder/ liquid.
I was a domsestic and commercial appliance engineer for 20 years and were often asked what had happened to aluminium items after they were put in a dishwasher.
The salt in a dishwasher is only used to recharge the Ion exchange resin softener and the salt from it would only enter the wash water if the top was left loose or the regeneration valve on the softener was faulty.
Never subject aluminium to a caustic soda clean for the same reason, another MUST NOT DO is put lead crystal glasses in the dishwasher they will go cloudy!
Sure they will polish up and be as good as new, I should know i have done it myself!!!
Regards Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies