Morrisons turkey legs

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Morrisons turkey legs

Postby onewheeler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm

They're selling legs off humongous birds for £4 in our local branch. I've just got 1.54 kg of useful meat from one (it's a b*gger getting the calcified tendons out) and lots of bits left for stock. Turkey, feta and spinach sausages about to be made.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby SteveW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 pm

Nice one,
Thanks for the heads up Martin....We're having beef on Christmas day so I thought I'd make some turkey chipolatas to go with it but never having made sausages with poultry I need a trial run (or maybe 3) first. I'll get Tara to pick some up on her way home tonight.

Steve
SteveW
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 pm

Monster leg (the pack says 1600 g minimum, mine was about 2.4 kg):

Meat pile:

Turkey, spinach and feta sausages:

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:29 am

Nice looking sausage, keep meaning to try a similar chicken recipe. Re' the jumbo legs, wonder what they would be like cured and made into a Turkey ham - anyone tried it ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:31 pm

Because poultry can spoil quickly even when kept cool, it is recommended that it is brined with a very strong brine for a short amount of time. If you have the Marianskis' book Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, you will find the instructions. I cure turkey breast for 6 hours with 2 quarts of brine then hot smoke it at 225F until the internal temperature reaches 160F.
Slightly pink from the cure #1
I would not use this procedure to make a ham, but it works fine on poultry.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Looks tasty and very moist - would'nt mind a taste of it :)
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:06 am

Look up a recipe for "Kentucky hot brown sandwiches" and add a tomato on top if they don't include it.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Well the sales are on ! Was in the market this afternoon and they were selling a bag of Turkey legs for £5.00, must have been at least 8-10 big legs in there. He did say they weighed approx 20lb a bag so that works out @25p a pound - cheaper than dog food. Unfortunately I just had nowhere to put them, so really reluctantly walked away :cry: They were nice and fat and had come off black Turkeys as they still had feather on the knuckle. I'm still visualising making turkey sausage in my head. As a consolation prize I was allowed to buy 3 x packs of large boneless/skinless Chicken breasts for kebabs. 24 breasts in all, weighing over 5 kg and a bargain for a tenner. :D
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:35 am

Yep, that's the problem. I have freezer that's meant to be just for "Dad's projects", but when you come to use it, you find that the rest of the family have filled it.

Phil :cry: :cry:
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Morrisons turkey legs

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm

They've got big legs (and big breasts - oo-err!) back in stock. Legs are £3 each. Two scored yesterday yielding 2.6 kg of trimmed meat and a nice pan of stock.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Re:

Postby yotmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:05 pm

wheels wrote:Yep, that's the problem. I have freezer that's meant to be just for "Dad's projects", but when you come to use it, you find that the rest of the family have filled it.

Phil :cry: :cry:

I've just got back from Bolton Market and they were selling Turkeys for Easter. One stall had some really nice fresh hen birds going for £15.00 each, but on another stall they had some that had been fresh but thrown in the freezer since xmas (had 26 Dec as use by date) these were 7.5 kg and going for £8.00 each - that's a hell of a lot of sausage ! Only trouble is I couldn't fit a flat piece of paper in my freezer, been stocking up recently on the legs of Lamb offers from the big supermarkets that have been selling @ £4.00 Kg.
Did manage to buy 16 lamb loin chops for a fiver though :D - then the other half said she fancied fish for tea :cry:
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Please send Bolton Market here...

:P

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 pm

onewheeler wrote:Please send Bolton Market here...

:P

Martin/

:D One day I hope I bump into Franco there, so i can thank him personally for allowing such a great forum !

Yotmon.
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies