maple cure

Air dried cured Meat Techniques

maple cure

Postby revid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am

Does anyone know where I can buy powdered maple cure for making jerky?
revid
Registered Member

Re: maple cure

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Hi, welcome.

You don't say what Country you're in? We have members all over the world, so it would help them in replying.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby revid » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:36 pm

Sorry about that, thought that was in my profile, I am in Canada.
revid
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:07 pm

Just phoned my suppliers, there is nothing out there. Suggestion is to use Maple sugar, salt and cure ~~ use Maple sugar at 3g per kg

Where about's are you ??
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby revid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:04 am

Newfoundland.3g/kg of meat?what portions would you suggest for the salt and cure? I thought the cure was the salt?? I have been doing some moose jerky with high mountain mixes at a pound at a time.I decided to do a 2lb batch but find that its way to salty? Did everything exact1 1/2 tbsp seasoning -2 tbsp /1lb meat....anyway of topic now and eating salty jerky,lol....beer helps
revid
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed May 01, 2013 5:05 am

Did you want to order it or buy locally? Ordering in Canada, you can try Malabar Super Spice or Canada Compound in Burlington and Mississauga Ontario. I've never done jerky myself yet but you could always order some cure#1 (both those places carry it), find a good jerky recipe, and replace the sugar in the recipe with maple sugar or add maple syrup too. Although, now I think of it, not sure jerky uses cure#1 ... maybe someone else can chime in, lol.

I did find this ... http://www.finemapleproducts.com/en/rec ... almon-tofu
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby revid » Wed May 01, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks comradeQ
revid
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm

revid wrote:Thanks comradeQ

No problem! I would think you could try one of the beef jerky seasoning mixes here (BBQ or the regular Beef Jerky): http://malabarsuperspice.com/s_jerky.htm and add maple syrup to the mix to add a maple taste. As long as you are using the Sure Cure they list there (or any cure #1 with 6.25% nitrite) and the jerky mix in the correct amounts per weight, I would think adding maple syrup would make it nice and sweet and delicious while also cutting down the "saltiness" you described. I'd smoke with maple wood too if you are going the smoking route.

I've used them for many of my supplies and, although mainly catering towards the meat industry, Thursdays and Fridays they take orders from the public and their products are top notch! I have heard they are reasonable with shipping rates although I have never ordered since they are close enough to me I just go right there to pick up.

You could order from some of the U.S. sausage and meat curing suppliers but it would cost much more for shipping etc so, unless you know a place in NL that does the same thing (I don't), I'd recommend them for sure.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Wed May 01, 2013 5:37 pm

I thought you Canucks all had regular government-provided rations of maple products?
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Thu May 02, 2013 1:48 am

Wunderdave wrote:I thought you Canucks all had regular government-provided rations of maple products?

As soon as I got here from the U.K. and became a Canadian citizen my blood turned to a sweet, dark maple syrup. Anytime we need syrup here we just tap into an artery and watch as the golden goodness drips out. Also, we all live in Igloos, say "eh" constantly and pronounce about "a-boot", oh and I can't forget, our police all roam in full Mounty uniforms on big horses. I guess I'm off to play hockey, eat some peameal bacon, and drink a few stubbies now, lol!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 am

Sorry about the delay what with work constraints and post not showing up in my inbox this was missed.

The following is what I use for my beef jerky, the one thing to remember I cut my meat thin (1/4 inch thick) which means that when I have finished drying I have a shelf stable product.

I recommend that you use the cure (cure 1) as there is ‘always’ the chance of not drying to the extent that I do. I have no fancy equipment and what I do here at work can be done at home with no problem.

As for the maple cure/sugar/syrup without a doubt you will find (IMO) that the sugar is a lot stronger than the syrup as Ruralidle can attest to it to quote his last message to me
I've made some more maple bacon with that very strong sugar you gave me and it is delicious - but the smell of the sugar stayed with me from when I mixed the cure until my next shower, even though I washed my hands thoroughly 4 times! I'll use latex gloves next time!

The recipe I use is as follows

Spice Block for the brine

To every Kg of meat:

50gm Unipac Beef Jerky Seasoning – no msg
5gm Prague powder
1 Lt Water to every 3Kg of meat

Inside round cleaned

Beef jerky seasoning You will note that there is already salt in there so I do not add, if making your own marinate up I would go with 20g of salt per kg

Sitting in the brine overnight and yes I do leave it at room temperature

The finished product, notice how thin it is. I could sell 25 - 30 kg a week with no problem

Hope this helps
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby revid » Thu May 02, 2013 11:20 am

I have been using High Mountain mixes and cure to make my jerky and have been working pretty good but the last batch was a little too salt despite using same amounts a nod weighing meat exactly. So I was going to try mixing my own spices and using a cure. It's says to use different amounts per muscle meat as to ground meat but I have been using muscle and drying in oven per instructions. I thought ( and iam guessing) it would be better to add powder as opposed to adding more liquid when making jerky, less to dehydrate. Would like some of your expertise and or opinions please. I just started making jerky about 40 lbs ago using moose and its turned out pretty good but would like to tweak the recipe for better results. Will have a look at the Malabar site and just look at high mountain site and found out I can buy their cure separately . The Prague powder , can you use that for cure, if so how much per lb or kg? Thanks
revid
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm

ComradeQ wrote:
Wunderdave wrote:I thought you Canucks all had regular government-provided rations of maple products?

As soon as I got here from the U.K. and became a Canadian citizen my blood turned to a sweet, dark maple syrup. Anytime we need syrup here we just tap into an artery and watch as the golden goodness drips out. Also, we all live in Igloos, say "eh" constantly and pronounce about "a-boot", oh and I can't forget, our police all roam in full Mounty uniforms on big horses. I guess I'm off to play hockey, eat some peameal bacon, and drink a few stubbies now, lol!

What a hoser!
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

revid wrote:I have been using High Mountain mixes and cure to make my jerky and have been working pretty good but the last batch was a little too salt despite using same amounts a nod weighing meat exactly. So I was going to try mixing my own spices and using a cure. It's says to use different amounts per muscle meat as to ground meat but I have been using muscle and drying in oven per instructions. I thought ( and iam guessing) it would be better to add powder as opposed to adding more liquid when making jerky, less to dehydrate. Would like some of your expertise and or opinions please. I just started making jerky about 40 lbs ago using moose and its turned out pretty good but would like to tweak the recipe for better results. Will have a look at the Malabar site and just look at high mountain site and found out I can buy their cure separately . The Prague powder , can you use that for cure, if so how much per lb or kg? Thanks

Whole muscles ~~ freeze/chill until very firm then slice.

Using dry spices plus cue sprinkled on the meat is a (very) bad way to go cuz you will have poor penetration in the time you want/require.

Make the brine up as I do 3 lt water per kg meat ~~ salt I would do at 20gm per kg ~~ Curer 1 (Prague powder 1) 3 gm per kg ~~ Maple sugar 3 gm per kg

You may/or not add other spices for flavour ~~ I also add a couple of drops of liquid smoke.

Hope this helps
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Wunderdave wrote:
ComradeQ wrote:

What a hoser!

That's a "Canadian" hosser to you :wink:
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Next

Return to Curing Techniques