Shop Curry Powder Recipe

All other recipes including your personal favourite and any seasonal tips to share

Shop Curry Powder Recipe

Postby Fatmat » Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi Folks,

I like 'shop' curry powder (Schwartz, McCormick etc..) but I can't eat chilli. I keep trying to blend my own but I can't quite hit the mark. Does anybody have a passable recipe? I like the richness of Madrass, I just can't take the chilli.

Thanks in advance,

Mat
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Re: Shop Curry Powder Recipe

Postby wheels » Mon May 20, 2013 11:23 pm

Are we talking chili in a curry recipe, or a spice mix for chili ( as in chili con carne?).

I'm sure we have members that can help with either.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Fatmat » Tue May 21, 2013 6:32 am

Hi Wheels, I have medical snags - sore mouth, past few years. I used to be a chilli monster but not any more. So I have to be really careful now because it burns like hell. Pepper, ginger and mustard are rarely a problem because they work differently.

Mat

P.S. I occasonally get a bit rock and roll and have a drop or two of green tabasco in an entire meal.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 21, 2013 9:34 am

Hi Mat,

Pre-colonial curries wouldn't have contained chilli as the Portuguese introduced them into India, so various peppers were used. I often make a pepper based spice mix, here's a recipe for a nice spice mix:

2tsp of black peppercorns
2tsp yellow mustard seeds
2tsp coriander seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp ground turmeric
2tsp ground ginger
Seeds of 4 cardamom pods
2 whole cloves

Grind the whole spices and mix with the ground ones. You can, of course, use ground spices throughout, but fresh ground has a much better flavour. You can adjust the pepper content and type to taste, but avoid cayenne pepper as its a chilli.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Tue May 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Thank you Jenny, I will get out my spices and play later. Do you toast your spices before grinding?
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Tue May 21, 2013 2:06 pm

I don't toast them as rule, my reasoning is that they will be toasted in the early stages of cooking the curry, why do it twice?

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fatmat » Tue May 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Good point!
Fatmat
Registered Member

Return to Cookery in general