Looking for a stainless manual mincer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Looking for a stainless manual mincer

Postby Ershin » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 pm

I'm rather desperatly trying to find a stainless mincer for my wife's birthday, and the only place I found selling them in the uk are apparently selling them no longer.

I'm not opposed to ordering internationally, so long as postage doesent make the overall price riduculous.

I'm unfortunatly also on a budget, so it'd have to be within say £75-80, which I know is low for what i want - the frustrating part being that the one i found fit within it, and i keep finding them in the states in budget but for around 150 shipped *sigh*.

Anyways, I'd be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction.
Ershin
Newly Registered

Re: Looking for a stainless manual mincer

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:23 am

A couple of questions:
1: Why stainless instead of cast iron? The cast iron ones on Amazon.uk seem to meet your budget.
2: Why manual instead of powered? I guess that it's a way to start within a budget, then get a powered mincer if you like the hobby enough.
If you do get a manual type, get one with a good clamp, not something freestanding or suction cup based. Maybe look at #10 size mincers, you probably don't want anything smaller. Also, I'd stay away from aluminum or plastic due to strength / wear issues.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Ershin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:52 pm

The answer to both of those questions basically comes down to what I feel my wife's preference would be - it is a present for her, afterall :P

She is quite.... zealous.. about cleaning things after the've contacted raw meat, and as well as being.. exeptionally enthusiastic, likes to spray things with vinegar. I think stainless will hold up better with that :P also, she is very clumsy, and I can see cast iron cracking the sink if (when) it got dropped.

As for the manual, shes really not good with loud noises (as in, shes still a little frightened of the vacuum) and since I suspect it will be me doing most of the actual handle cranking, thats a compromise I'm happy with.

I should probably say shes not as crazy as I make her sound, at this point :P

I imagine we'll probably mostly be making fresh sausages, and I'ts just the two of us, so an electric might be overkill anyways.

As it happens, I managed to source one from Italy, in the end, think it was around £75 including shipping, from tre spade.
Ershin
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:03 pm

Ershin

I'm also a married man, so can empathise with your situation. Please let us know how you get along with the trespade grinder, they're meant to be good.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment & Supplies