Induction hot plate for cold smoking?

Re: Induction hot plate for cold smoking?

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:51 pm

JollyJohn wrote:Reference the clogging of the "blown" generators. At first, I thought the problem was my oak chippings, but even after oven drying, it still clogged, I had to keep raking the chippings to get them to fall down the tube to burn. I've built two of them, one with the air blowing through a tube across the bottom, and one with the tube at the top. I think the main problem was our damp British air, as the air tube from the aquarium pump choked up with water as well. They may well work really well on a nice hot sunny day here, but that is going to severely limit the amount of times they can be used. :)

The real problem is with condensation from the combustion accumulating in the exit tube/your smoke chamber. IIRC Saucisson built a condenser chamber in that thread. Not sure why your air pump tube is getting clogged, but it's very dry here in Colorado so that could be the difference.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby JollyJohn » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Wunderdave wrote:
JollyJohn wrote:Reference the clogging of the "blown" generators. At first, I thought the problem was my oak chippings, but even after oven drying, it still clogged, I had to keep raking the chippings to get them to fall down the tube to burn. I've built two of them, one with the air blowing through a tube across the bottom, and one with the tube at the top. I think the main problem was our damp British air, as the air tube from the aquarium pump choked up with water as well. They may well work really well on a nice hot sunny day here, but that is going to severely limit the amount of times they can be used. :)

The real problem is with condensation from the combustion accumulating in the exit tube/your smoke chamber. IIRC Saucisson built a condenser chamber in that thread. Not sure why your air pump tube is getting clogged, but it's very dry here in Colorado so that could be the difference.

Not really, the unburned wood seems to get moist, sticks together and won't drop naturally down the combustion chamber to be burned. It was a particularly grey day when I last used it!
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Huh, tough to say. The way I run mine is by dropping a lit charcoal briquette on top of the wood chips, so it burns top to bottom and I don't get that issue. But I do get condensate in the exit tube.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am

I've not used my pumped system since getting the CSG, I'm tempted to get it out of mothballs and fire it up again for old times sake :D
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing