How fast can you make a batch?

The place to swap commercial recipes, techniques etc.

Re: How fast can you make a batch?

Postby JerBear » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Ok, I just key-entered the brat recipe into Numbers in my iPhone to test for tonight. I'll also time the grinding using the small die as a single grind. I think that this is also a gap, not knowing how long it's actually taking me and using my gut too much. I don't just season using my gut and should similarly avoid other similarly framed decisions.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:05 pm

I do not know why but just taking a quick scan while vac pacing bacon and came across the above and the thought flashed across my mind (usually theirs nowt there -- in the mind that is :| )

by Alfred Lord Tennyson ---"Ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and die"

I will sit back and await your outcome of the sausage :?
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:04 pm

I looked at the specs on your grinder and it should be able to do 40lbs double grind in less than 20 min or so including time to switch out the plate which is in line with what my 3/4 can do. Are you including some time back in the freezer to cool the meat down in that 75 min or is your grinder just not performing to its specs?

How long is the setup and cleanup time? I don't make sausages commercially but make batches about the same size as what you are described earlier so I'm trying to just compare our sausage making times.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 am

I don't know what to tell you, I keep the meat on ice but haven't been putting it back in the freezer, the 75 min includes cutting boneless shoulder into strips but that doesn't take more than about 5-10 minutes. Switching out the plate/blade takes about a minute, not a big deal.

Either it's not performing to specs or more likely the specs are way overstated and were created as an estimate based upon the size of the feed tube x the grinder speed (I'm just assuming here).

When I made my last batch I was set up to cut and grind in about 5 min, however, there wasn't anyone else in the kitchen and I didn't have to move any equipment out of the way to get started. How fast are you getting a batch double ground?
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby St-Anthony » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:53 pm

If I can put in my 2 cents in this discussion I will say that if you look around, you can get good deals on a good used commercial grinder with a little research and patience. Myself, years ago, I bought a used Stimpson meat grinder from a used equipment dealer for around 1k if I remember correctly. It has a pan 20"X38" with a #32 head. I have put more than 50 pounds in that tub many times . I used to slaughter and cut beef for farmers back in the days when we could do that and I tell you, this Stimpson grinder can take a beating; I had a guy pushing meat through it all day from the beginning of October, through the hunting season and freezer orders season up until Christmas every year for many years. Still have and use it every day. 40 pounds of meat in this grinder would take just a few minutes I don't know exactly how long but I don't think it would take more than 5 minutes at the most.

This being said, I have three stuffers: 1 TreeSpade 5 pounder that I use to develop recipes, 1 TreeSpade 15 pounder for my main stuffer ( but I can put 16 lbs. in it easily )and a 30 pounder (no name) that I use for very big batches although I don't save a lot of time compared to my 15 pound TreeSpade. I try to make my batches around 15 lbs.: 12 lbs. of meat + three lbs. for spices and water. If I have more than one batch to do, I first start by doing all of the grinds and separate them in different meat lugs. While the meat re-cools itself, I mix my spices then I mix the spices with the different batches. If I am making sausage in hog casing, I let the mix soak in the meat while I clean my grinder. If I use sheep casing, I stuff it right away because if I let it sit for too long, it gets hard to push it through the spout; specially if I use the long spout for 20mm collagen casing (in this case, If I use collagen casing, I put more water in the batch to make easier to push) :wink:

At this point, I don't know if I make sense or if I'm just babbling so I'll just finish my comment right here. :?
St-Anthony
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:47 am

I agree that upping my grinder is going to be a necessity but first things first is revenue. That said, I'm curious to know why you consider your 30# stuffer as efficient as your 15# unit.
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby St-Anthony » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Its the other way around JerBear, I find my 15 lbs. stuffer more efficient than my 30 lbs. (which I barely use anymore). The 15 pounder is a lot lighter, a lot easier to clean, it barely leaves any sausage meat residue at the bottom when I am done and because of the size of the plunger, if I need to push sausage in sheep casing, the 30 pounder takes three arms to operate (20 mil collagen casing? don't even think about it). I definitely think that for a hand crank stuffer, a 15 pounder is the most efficient size stuffer for the little time it takes to reload it if I am making big batches.
St-Anthony
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:05 am

:oops: d'oh, that's what I meant... :oops:

Interesting perspective and I can see what you mean. I know that I had a heck of a time making 10 lbs of snack sticks with my 12 lb stuffer.
JerBear
Registered Member

Previous

Return to For food service professionals, chefs, butchers etc.