Mincer Plates

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Mincer Plates

Postby JohnT » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 am

I am about to replace my old and well worn domestic mincer with a new #22 unit made by Trespade. The mincer comes with an 8mm plate as standard but, while I am spending the money, I am going to purchase at least two further plates. At the moment I have only been making raw sausages, but will slowly be venturing into other products such as salami. My present mincer came with three plates - small, medium and large, which appear to be 4.5mm, 6.5mm and about 8.5mm. The supplier for the #22 stocks plates of 3, 4.5, 6, 8, 13 and 20mm. Any recommendations as to what extra size plates to purchase would be greatly appreciated.
JohnT
Registered Member

Re: Mincer Plates

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:12 am

Hi John,
I own a #22 mincer as well and have the following plates, 3 mm, 4.5 mm, 6 mm and 13 mm. I have a cutter blade specifically for each size, all in stainless. So far I had no use for any other size yet.
Good Luck my friend,
Jan.
Brisbane. OZ.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby JohnT » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks Jan,
I was thinking of getting the 4.5, 6 and 13mm plates as the 3mm one is quite fine and the 20mm one is "te groot" as they say here. Do you use your 3mm plate often? I have no intention to make emulsion type sausages in the near future and thought that would be the only use for that size. Anyway, I have plenty of time to think about it as I will only be making the investment in November, when I get back from Grenada.
John
JohnT
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 pm

FWIW, if I had to pick 3 from your list I'd go for the 3mm, 6mm and 13mm, and save to get the 4.5mm at a later date. My logic? You can approximate the 4.5mm by grinding twice through the 6mm.

That said, I do a lot of very rough ground stuff; I do my Melton Mowbray style pork pies with a 12mm.

For 'normal' sausage-making, the 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm may be a better bet. Would you use the 13mm?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Equipment & Supplies