Unsanitary welds

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Unsanitary welds

Postby urowho » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:30 pm

Hi

I just bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0959413614

It has some really dodgy welding, both bits associated with the elbow. One 3mm deep gash where the weld has been ground down at the bottom of the barrel and a huge lip in the exit part of the elbow where the screw thread has been welded on.

I'm a bit worried that I am going to find it pretty hard to guarantee that it is properly sanitised. My experience with home brewing suggest that this would then be a recipe not for great sausage but a disaster.

I've written to the trader but my question is, am I being too uptight and event he original trespade is made with similar issues or have I bought a dodgy poorly QC'd chinese knock off that is going to give my botulism! So should I send it back, grind the lip down with a dremel (assuming its even possible) or don't panic?

Thanks in advance!
urowho
Registered Member

Re: Unsanitary welds

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:31 pm

My thought: If there's a pocket where meat can get forced in under pressure, then it's going to be hard to get it cleaned thoroughly, and cleanliness is a real big thing, both in home brewing and sausage making. It looks like the seller accepts returns within 2 weeks of purchase, so you might want to try to return it for a trade in. Document the problems with a camera! If the seller's OK with a trade, have them inspect a new one for similar issues before sending it to you.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby urowho » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks TJ. The seller has refunded the money in full without the need to send back. They have said they are going to contact the manufacturer and check existing units.

I've made a lot of progress with a grinder and its now looking much more tidy. It's not 100% mirror like stainless but I think I've removed hiding places for meat. I've got a further flame tipped grinder that I'm going to set to work with in order to really smooth it out.

I think I'm going to give it a test run, clean it as thoroughly as possible, dishwasher to sanitise. Wash in starsan and check it very carefully. I may even do some swabs on agar!

I agree that brewing is bad enough. But at least with beer it's just undrinkable rather than dangerous!

Are the insides of the big name stuffers like trespade super smooth mirrors with any sort of ridges or dull areas in the elbow?
urowho
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:57 pm

If the area is in constant contact with the food, say internal to the tank or outlet elbow, then it would be a larger concern to keep clean. If its an external area then I'd probably not be too worried about it, as there are enough knooks and crannies in a unit like this anyway where the joint can lodge materials. We disinfect all out grinder stuffer parts each time they are put away and then a rinse in a bleach solution again when assembled. Look for NSF approved equipment if its a big concern but they come with a much higher price tag.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby Banjoe » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Now there's a solid supplier. Great to see that they stood behind their product and will be pushing for improvements. Nice work!
Banjoe
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies