Reccomendation on skewers

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Reccomendation on skewers

Postby Laripu » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Well sometimes you don't wnat to grind and stuff. Sometimes you just have to stick a piece of metal into a piece of meat.

I always hated the skewers that were rod-like. Being round, the meat and vegetable rotated around the skewer. I've owned the flat Raichlen skewers for quite some time now, and they're perfect. Nothing rotates.

Here are links to the small, medium, and wide skewers.

I own and have used all three (in the Big Green Egg). You can even skewer steaks on the wide ones, which are like little swords. I've used each thickness in different ways. Also, they're shiny. :wink: At least at first. :)

A note of caution: they're available on multiple web-sites. When I bought them, the cheapest source (and with free delivery) was US Amazon. That may no longer be true, so if you want them, please shop around.

Yup, that's homebrew!
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Re: Reccomendation on skewers

Postby wheels » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 am

I hate skewers where you turn them over and they just rotate within the meat. :evil:

So, they look brilliant. :D :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby JamesMB » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

I also love these skewers - I have the 3/8 (small - 6 to a pack) which I got from amazon US and a friend shipped to me. I liked them so much I repeated the exercise ! I guess I use them once or twice a week with spiced mince on them. They sell them here in the UK now. I also have two of the wide ones - unused.
The only downside for me is that they are too long to use in my medium Big Green Egg and I can't bring myself to cut the handle bits off. I saw some I liked in a kebab shop and asked the owner where he got them, but he thought I was joking. Got some simple stainless strips from ebay from a kebab grill manufacturer (Archway) that are also good but that much larger that they aren't as good for minced meat.

PS I home brew too, but ale!! We must share an obsessive gene.
JamesMB
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm

JamesMB wrote:I also love these skewers - I have the 3/8 (small - 6 to a pack) which I got from amazon US and a friend shipped to me. I liked them so much I repeated the exercise ! I guess I use them once or twice a week with spiced mince on them. They sell them here in the UK now. I also have two of the wide ones - unused.
The only downside for me is that they are too long to use in my medium Big Green Egg and I can't bring myself to cut the handle bits off. I saw some I liked in a kebab shop and asked the owner where he got them, but he thought I was joking. Got some simple stainless strips from ebay from a kebab grill manufacturer (Archway) that are also good but that much larger that they aren't as good for minced meat.

PS I home brew too, but ale!! We must share an obsessive gene.

That might be... I've had a large BGE since 1998. :)

I've actually skewered steak and done them in the BGE with the widest ones.

Why do you say "but ale", as though I brewed Budweiser? :lol: I do about 90% ale, 10% lagers, some meads and occasionally a cider. By the way, I was led to this forum by the nice people on the UK brewing forum called Jim's Beer Kit. I might as well return the favour. (Extra 'u' included, so as not to disturb the sensibilities of anglo-orthography-adherents. ;) )

If you go there, you'll see me with the same username and avatar. See you in the "Tap Room".

Hey, you could use the skewers in the medium BGE if you grilled with the lid open, couldn't you?

One more edit: that beer you see is a "graff". Half the fermentables are malt, half apple juice. I called it Cybeerg. :)
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies