Sandwich Bread?

All about bread

Sandwich Bread?

Postby Dingo » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Howdy all,
I'm looking for a recipe, or some instruction, for a simple sandwich bread....

I've been through a bunch of different recipes but they all turn out very "airy"..very tasty...just not conducive to making sandwiches. Something with a more dense texture is what i'm looking for.

I like to use my bread machine for convenience, but I'm not against baking in the oven.

Just a thought...I've been using Fleischmans "Highly active" yeast..could this be the source of my problem. Also i live at 6000ft

Any and all advice appreciated.
Dingo
Registered Member

Re: Sandwich Bread?

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:27 am

Suggest you stick with a standard yeast, instant dry would work fine. Fleischmans is fine but the standard IDY would probably work fine. A hint is stick with one brand and type once you get your formulas down.
Next try a couple of the sandwich bread recipes from here:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ ... t=2&page=1
In this faves page there are several good starter recipes for sandwich bread.
I've never had a formulation fail from KA. They also have a very responsive forum about their formulations.
And finally put the bread machine away and use your oven. The best breads come from hand made doughs, where you can feel the textures and gluten as it develops, you won't get that from a machine.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:02 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by sandwich bread in the US, but if it's like this:

Then my recipe is:

1000gm Strong white bread flour
640gm Tepid water
14gm Easy blend instant yeast
15gm salt

• I make a dough of the above
  • Kneed in a machine (I use a Kenwood, which is like a Kitchenaid) for 4 minutes
  • Rest it for 10 - 15 minutes
  • Mix again for 4 minutes
  • Form it into a ball, oil it lightly, put it in a bowl, and cover the bowl
  • Leave it to rise until doubled in size
  • Shape it, rolling the edges of the dough under to form a tight top skin, and put it in to prepared tins
  • Leave it to rise until it's nearly the final size you want
  • If freezing it, cook it at 180°C (360°F)
  • Or, for a crustier loaf (best not frozen), at 200°C (400°F) - with steam for the first 10 - 15 minutes of cooking

Makes 2 large, or 4 small, tin loaves.

For wholemeal flour increase the water to 700gm

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Dingo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks guys....that's what I'm looking for. I'll ditch the bread machine..I have a stand mixer..but its a cheapo..the dough hooks look like pig tails...I'll do some experimenting with the info you've given.

Thanks
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby fatgit » Mon May 18, 2015 9:44 am

There was a tv programme a couple of weeks ago that showed how bread is mass produced here in the UK, and they dem9nstrated how they make the bread tear resistant to make it easier to spread butter on.
Basically, after the initial proving, they stretch the dough into a rectangle and roll it up like a swiss roll 4 times the width of the loaf tin, cut the roll into 4 lengths and place them into the tin like |||| and then prove and bake as normal.
The texture is tighter and the bread doesn't tear as easily when buttering/folding etc.
We've started doing this with our sandwich bread (a cross between Wheels soft rolls and a Michelke Roux Junior recipe) and it works very well.
fatgit
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 18, 2015 12:40 pm

I saw that programme, but haven't had a chance to try it - it's great to know that it works.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Mon May 18, 2015 3:03 pm

wheels wrote:I saw that programme, but haven't had a chance to try it - it's great to know that it works.

Phil

I saw it too, love simple but effective ideas - could it be the next best thing since sliced bread - i'll get me coat......... :)
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon May 18, 2015 5:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :cry:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fusion555 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:44 am

Resurrecting an old thread here but this is something i can contribute to the site and do it in US measures to boot :D

I have been making this at least once a week for a few years now, never fails me,(now iv done it :shock: )
I make this in a 600 pro Kitchen aid, if yours has a smaller motor, you will need to give it a rest a few times when kneading.

Makes 2 loaves in 9" tins

7 Cups AP four
1 Tblspn active dry yeast
1 Tblspn sugar
1 Tblspn Kosher salt
2 1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup olive oil (approx)

In the mixer bowl put 1/2 cup warm water, 1 Tblspn sugar and the yeast, quick stir and leave until it has formed a froth, about 10 mins

Add the rest of the warm water (2 cups) and 1/2 the flour, give it a good mix using the dough hook, add the rest of the flour, the salt and 2 Tblspns of the olive oil, mix for 5 mins.

Check the dough, it should have cleaned the bowl but still be sticky to the touch, if too dry add more olive oil, mix a few more mins and check again, sticky to the touch but wont stay on your fingers is the consistency your looking for, mix for at least 10 mins with the dough hook.

Heat oven to 375F

Remove dough from bowl, knead by hand for just a few mins, no bench flour should be needed but dough should still feel sticky, oil the bowl, return dough to bowl, oil the dough lightly and cover with plastic wrap, leave to rise until doubled in size (1hr to 2hrs)

Prepare the 2 tins, i use the no stick spray

When the dough has doubled in size, remove from bowl and cut in half, take the first half and with your hands shape the dough into a 9x12 inch rectangle, the 9 inch being side to side, fold the top down half way and bring the bottom of the dough up to meet it, pinch the 2 ends together and form the dough into a 9 inch by 3 inch log, put the dough into the tin with the seal in the dough facing down and cover with plastic wrap.
repeat for the second half of the dough, put aside to rise again.

When the dough has risen to just above the top of the tins, put in oven on middle shelf and bake for 25 to 30 mins, should have a nice golden top and sound hollow when you tap the bottom (out of tin :) )

Let cool on wire rack and enjoy with lashings of butter, dosn't last long, i see mold after about 4 days wrapped in Aluminum foil

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Return to Bread Making