LCD digital probe.

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

LCD digital probe.

Postby yotmon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0085GWPHC/ref=nosim

Anyone have knowledge of this item - seems very cheap at £2.49 inc. p+p and was wondering if it was up to the mark ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: LCD digital probe.

Postby RodinBangkok » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Yes, they break quite easily. I've had two I found locally here, a bit different cosmetic look but the same internals. They like to break where the probe enters the plastic housing. For that price though, I'd probably buy about 5 and put a good coat of an epoxy glue in the area where the SS probe enters the housing, and wouldn't be upset if they broke.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 pm

thermapen, all the way
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Rod, thanks for that, good idea with the epoxy, will try that out when it arrives. It's being shipped from China so hopefully will arrive this side of Christmas !

QWF - Cheers, will see how heavy handed I am with this 'cheapo' first before going for a 'proper' one :wink:

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 pm

yotmon wrote:QWF - Cheers, will see how heavy handed I am with this 'cheapo' first before going for a 'proper' one :wink:

Ste.

Been there, I found cheap is not cheap in this case. Cheap is one that lasts more than 5 mins. :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:10 am

I've gone completely away from all the commercial type pens and such, I found that a good K type digital thermometer that accepts a mini thermocouple plug is the best by far. I can then make, buy probes in any length price, etc, and leave them on the equipment then simply plug in the digital unit, or to any PCI card or PID temp controller that is K type compatible. The display unit costs me $21.00, and the thermocouples vary depending on style and length, a bare wire type that I build my own probe ends for costs about $8.00.
But the two cheap ones shown above lasted quite awhile actually, I was surprised.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies