European Oak for smoking

European Oak for smoking

Postby crustyo44 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:45 am

Hi,
I will have access early next year to any amount of European Oak for smoking. On my cousins property down south in Victoria, he has this monstrous oak tree, planted by the first Pommie landholders when this area was settled.
It has to be cut down reluctantly, it's 4 feet across the base and at least 120 ft high.
In season there are many trailer loads of acorns available. The trunk and huge branches will be sawn for furniture and/or wine barrels if suitable.
I will have wood, chips, course and fine saw dust available. From what I remember as a kid, oak in Holland
was very popular for smoking virtually anything.
Do any members have some more information available.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Re: European Oak for smoking

Postby GUS » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:12 pm

..That sounds like a beautiful tree, shame it has to come down (why exactly)? ..are you going to make something to commemorate it's history on your property, it sounds like it's part of the landscape, i'd be wanting to raise & plant a few tree's from those acorns as it seems a strong strain very resistant to the rigours of the climate & environment, could do with a few of those going to a seed gene bank maybe.

of course the first hurdle (& there will be a few others more capable will advise of) is non contamination of the wood by mechanical oil from the chainsaws & other mechanicals you use to chop the tree & it's subsequent chipping to ensure it's safe for use with food (eventually).

Otherwise, if it HAS to go, then a lifelong supply of good food memories will perhaps serve it well.
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:32 pm

crustyo44 wrote:From what I remember as a kid, oak in Holland
was very popular for smoking virtually anything.

Jan.

It's just as popular/prevalent in the UK Jan, so it will be a great resource so long as you can keep it free from oil contamination, as GUS suggested
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby yotmon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:53 am

Hmmm, I just love the smell of freshly cut Oak, it reminds me of beer. Maybe it's because the barrels were made from it ? Pity you don't have any pigs to feed the acorns to, could have had a 'double whammy' smoking their bacon with the oak sawdust !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing