Using meat slicers

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Using meat slicers

Postby Gerry » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Hello everyone.
First post, so please bear with a novice! I've being buying supplies off this site for several years, but have only now ventured onto the forum.

Bought a good quality bacon slicer but, after slicing just a few kilos of rindless bacon (two separate occasions - fully cleaned after first use), I'm getting a problem with the bottom edge of the meat being left uncut. I've cleaned any visible signs of fat/potential obstructions, but the problem continues. Blade has also been sharpened, just in case.

The meat has been chilled down, to make things easiers, but there is also still smearing on the rashers. What am I doing wrong? How often does a machine need to be fully stripped down? Could this be a factor?
Gerry
Newly Registered

Re: Using meat slicers

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 am

Bottom cut problems can be dull blade, if its a cheap unit it could be low rpm blade motor and a soft steel blade. The smaller home type units just won't cut if for bacon, or much else for that matter. Not sure what you've got for a slicer, but sounds like it may not be the one for the job if you've used it only twice. Only other thing you might try is make sure the meat is not too solid if your freezing first, and go very slowly when pushing the carriage thru the blade.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 am

Gerry wrote:Hello everyone.

Welcome

The meat has been chilled down, to make things easier,

When you say 'chilled down' .. how well chilled down is it??
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Gerry » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Thank you both for replying. It's a £400 machine, and new. How far should you chill the meat before slicing? Anyone got any tips?
Gerry
Newly Registered

Postby sundodger » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:31 pm

I also found that bacon was the problem child ! At first I had a domestic type slicer which was supposed to be good for "Semi Professional" use - But it wasn't. I now have a "Deli" type slicer 12 inch blade & pretty fast running & angled carriage - Still dificult to cut bacon cleanly though, so I chill right down, to just above freezing & the bacon firms right up... You ought to be ok if you do this, but the bacon will still rapidly waem up & may need a couple of goes in the freezer, before you finish slicing the slab.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be !
sundodger
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies