Uruguay - Need resources

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Uruguay - Need resources

Postby DelNorte » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Hola todos!

I moved to Uruguay some time ago and I'm really missing all the beautiful sausages and smoked meats from the US, the Uruguayan salamis and chorizos being quite lacking in flavor and quite chunky with tons of grizzle and tendons. Well, at least where I am at in the interior they are... So I decided to build a smoker and make my own.

It's a struggle for me to find some of the most basic spices we take for granted in the US. Uruguayans as a whole have simple taste in foods, and there is not much variety here in many food stuffs, including spices. Along with this, I can find no where in the city I live in any curing mixes or even Morton's Quick Tender. I'm thinking my only resource is in the capital city of Montevideo, where everyone goes to find anything not found in the rest of the country. The only problem is I live 5 hours from there. Kind of hard to go and then find places that sell what I need.

Does anyone here live in or know Montevideo, and where I could buy things needed? Mostly the cure mixes, and dill along with sage are near impossible to find.

And I know those of you who are not familiar with Uruguay, it's not as simple as ordering something from the US. It's quite frustrating getting packages here: They MIGHT arrive (a lot of theft in the U postal system); they are opened and things are missing/damaged; the shipping is high; Customs does not follow the rules stated about taxes applied and one could have a huge tax fee depending upon how much the aduana decides he wants to profit that day, and if a tax is applied then I'd have to go the 5 hours to the capital to pick up the package... just to name a few things about why ordering from outside the country is not worth the hassle.

Thanks much!
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Re: Uruguay - Need resources

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:41 pm

Would it be possible for you to grow some herbs where you are? Sage and dill will grow in small pots and can be dried. Do you have any friends at a University; they may be able to order you curing salts for "scientific purposes".
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Uruguay - Need resources

Postby DelNorte » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:20 pm

NCPaul wrote:Would it be possible for you to grow some herbs where you are? Sage and dill will grow in small pots and can be dried. Do you have any friends at a University; they may be able to order you curing salts for "scientific purposes".

Yeah, I do actually grow some. Part of the trick is to find the seeds or plants. I do have a dehydrator to dry the herbs, also.

I wish I had friends at THE university (only one in the country. can't believe it), because that is a great idea on a method to get my hands on curing salts. Thanks!... so for now, I keep searching. Surely there is someplace I can get them from. Until then, I make things in the smoker without.

Speaking of - the day before yesterday I did a second test run of the new smoker we made, this time with some actual food. Made a regular jerky and a teriyaki jerky. Both turned out fantastic! Of course I made sure the proper temps were reached for the first 3 hours, then reduced it to keep it 170F for the remaining time. The bad news is, due to no curing salts and having to store the jerky in the fridge, well kind of hard to hide it on my son. I need a lockable container. :wink:

Thanks for the input NCPaul!
Teach me. I will learn.
DelNorte
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies