Pansitose

Introductions and chatter

Pansitose

Postby yotmon » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:53 pm

Does anyone know what this product is/was. It was used as a filler in sausages and supposed to absorb better than other fillers. The only reference I can find on the net refers to the recipe in the book I have.
Anyone else have a reference to this product.

Here's what I found -

Pansitose—A flaky substance made from cereals, and largely used in all kinds of sausages for binding and filling. A good binder should hold the sausage meat together in a firm, compact, congealed mass, without showing the presence of a binding substance. To obtain this result, the substance employed as a binder must have very great adhesive qualities, and at the same time be of such a nature as to most readily blend perfectly with the mass, and conform as much as possible to the appearance of the meat itself.

It is claimed for the article that the properties are such that it most readily takes up all the oil and natural juices of the meat, and the flavour of the spices, and distributes them thoroughly throughout the mass, perfectly blending all together.

Pansitose does not gum, but coagulates, therefore the meat is not toughened by the action of the blender.

Pansitose retains all the moisture in the mass, and thus prevents the evaporation of the juices and oils.

Pansitose blends the mass into a perfect consistency for stuffing, gives it an appetising appearance when cut for sale, and a crisp brown appearance when cooked. Actual comparative tests of Pansitose, potato flour, cracker dust, etc., to ascertain the exact amount of water absorbed by each, showed the following result:—

Bread meal - - - 50 per cent.
Potato flour - - 70 per cent
Rice flour - - -70 per cent
Cracker dust - - 80 per cent
Meat currie - - -95 per cent
Pansitose - - - 400 per cent

That the test should be absolutely fair, one-quarter pound of each article was taken direct from fresh stock, and cold water added to each at the same time and in equal quantities, one ounce at a time, giving sufficient opportunity for each ounce to be absorbed before adding more.

The first ounce was immediately taken up by the Pansitose and the addition was scarcely noticeable, while with the other substances it was necessary to aid absorption by The per centage of water mentioned was ascertained by continuous additions of water until each substance had
apparently absorbed all it would contain, giving the following result:—
Bread meal - - - 25 minutes.
Potato flour - - 20 minutes
Rice flour - - - 20 minutes
Cracker dust - - 15 minutes
Meat currie - - 15 minutes
Pansitose - - - 10 minutes
The water was added cold. Pansitose absorbed the water as rapidly as it was added, practically without assistance, while it was necessary to stir the other substances continually to aid absorption.

Pansitose retained all the water absorbed, while the tendency of the other substances was to settle and separate from the water after standing for a short time undisturbed, showing that they are not perfect absorbents.

Directions how to successfully use Pansitose.—
Chop the meat fine.—Good sausage can not be made unless the meat is chopped to the proper degree of fineness, because it will not take up the flavour of the spices, will not stuff easily, does not bind well, and looks bad when cut for sale. The meat must be chopped fine if you want to get the best results from Pansitose.

Do not mix it with water before adding to the sausage meat. Mix it thoroughly with the chopped meat and then add water. The amount of water that should be used depends largely on circumstances and the condition of the meat Some meat is dry and requires the addition of a large quantity of water to give it the proper degree of moisture, while other meat is naturally very juicy and will require a less amount of additional moisture.

Extensive experiments in America proved that the best results in various kinds of sausages were obtained as follows :—Practical tests showed that where sausages were made for immediate sale and consumption, from twenty to thirty per cent. of water could be added, while sausages intended for shipment, or where not intended for early use, were better if only fifteen to twenty per cent. of water was added. For long distance shipping it is not advisable to add over fifteen to eighteen per cent.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Pansitose

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 am

It looks like a binder/filler. A lot of these old books were basically there to promote a product.

It seems to be high protein like the fillers make from soya.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Pansitose is a trade name that was used by the Cerealine Manufacturing Co., formerly of Indianapolis, IN. They manufactured cereals primarily from corn, Cerealine flaked corn hominy breakfast cereal was their best known product. Given their emphasis, it was probably a corn product.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby yotmon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for that - I suppose it makes sense of what was written about the product, as when I make Polenta using cornmeal I can see how much liquid it will absorb. Not too sure if I could use cornmeal as a filler but then again what are the American 'corndogs' made of ? I have used it in the past as a binder in beef/pork meat balls and it gave a satisfactory texture.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Every corn dog I've ever had was an ordinary hot dogs that was battered in a simple corn meal batter (like corn bread, only thinner consistency) then deep fried. As you say, I'm not sure it would work (as far as taste or texture) to mix cornmeal into a hotdog mix.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Return to Chatter