New Eu Rules on commercial smoking

New Eu Rules on commercial smoking

Postby crustyo44 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Mod edit: This new topic has been created from another thread. It started with the end of this post:

Obviously manufacturers in the EU can no longer manufacture this style sausage as smoking as we know it will be banned shortly.
No doubt, Brussels will tell everyone shortly how to wipe their noses and polish their shoes as well.
Thanks for posting that recipe.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Re: New Eu Rules on commercial smoking

Postby DanMcG » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Obviously manufacturers in the EU can no longer manufacture this style sausage as smoking as we know it will be banned shortly.

Please excuse my ignorance but are you saying there will be no more smoked sausage out of the UE?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 am

Hi Dan,
Yes, that is correct!!. Polish manufacturers are fairly sh----ng their pants I was told. They have to change their manufacturing process completely at great cost.
Smoke flavour or liquid smoke will only be allowed.
Nothing is adopted yet but it's in the process of becoming law eventually.
Brussels rules the World. :evil:
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:32 pm

This is the first I've heard of this. Have you any links to draft regulations/papers etc?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Phil,
I post the link shortly.

Polish smoked sausage threatened by new EU rules?
31st December 2013
Bookmark and Share
Polish smoked sausage may be a thing of a past, as new research shows that Polish producers are having trouble complying with EU regulations on smoked substances in foodstuffs.

The new rules are set to be in place in September 2014. Polish producers are wary that restrictions on wood-smoking foods, such as sausage or hams, may mean they might have to stop production altogether.

At least 150 producers out of around 2,000 are at risk, estimates Witold Choiński, Chariman of the Board at the Polish Meat Assocation (Związek 'Polskie Mięso').
“We have tested our products for smoked substances, and we already know that some of them do not meet [the EU's] regulations on benzo(a)piren,” says Waldemar Kluska, director of Taurus, a processed meat producer.
“Products now can contain 5.0 micrograms per kilogram, while from September 2014 that will become 2.0 micrograms,” Mr Kluska adds, saying that he will have to change production or close down operations – not good news for the 70 people he employs.
Producers complain that there were no consultations on minimum amounts of smoked substances in the production of traditional smoking. They hope that regional and traditional products will get 'special treatment' when the new regulation takes effect.

Poland A.M.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:34 pm

http://www.wbj.pl/article-64701-polish- ... ml?typ=pam

Phil, this is the link.
It is being played down a bit but it is even going to affect small scale salmon smokers in the UK according to my source in EU.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks Jan.

I guess that the next question is, "Is there something in the Polish method, type of wood, or level of smoke, that makes their products have more benzo(a)piren, or will it affect all smoked products?"

Found it! The regulation is here:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 008:EN:PDF

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Interesting. The only helpful reference I've found to factors influencing the level of benzo(a)pyrene in smoked food is http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0SZXNJcdzVQC&pg=PA262&lpg=PA262&dq=benzo%28a%29pyrene+smoked+food&source=bl&ots=yrEZ3V-3rg&sig=6DoEryMDTR7POIgqm8XvwQFJbCE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4gLXUr-SEYOP7Aaz8oGgDg&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBTgK#v=onepage&q=benzo%28a%29pyrene%20smoked%20food&f=false which suggests that burning the wood at a low temperature / high water content reduces the contamination.

I also wonder if the Polish practice of using juniper wood might have an influence? It seems that only a small fraction of Polish producers are affected.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 am

Yes, other web sources don't paint such a bad picture for Polish producers.

My guess is, that most small producers will just ignore it. In reality, are EHO/TSO going to test every small producer's product? Those that confidently say that their product complies will be fine; those that show any hesitation will be forced to have expensive testing. Just like the laws regarding brine cured meats.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby GUS » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 am

"Hurumph"

When they ear tag & barcode the general populace in order to ensure they do not buy & eat mre than one Mcdonalds meal every 3 months to avoid the associations of being a "heavy user" (obviously no more takeaway / drive-through) then I may start listening, but as one of the "global" partners of many corrupt sport set ups ie olympics & fifa world cup, ensuring their food is dominant at said events, I might listen & change my concept of smoked food, ..but it's never going to happen.

Importantly how does this potentially affect "protected" / awaiting designation as regional foodstuffs, eg Craister smoked kippers?

& can someone therefore contextually tell us what one or two bad barbecues contain in terms of nasties, especially when coupled with the increasingly common pre-soaked & not left to burn off "instant" disposable bbqs.

I'm not the brightest out there, but I do like context & information, the EU should deliver a plainspeak copy alongside the pre-requisite jargon-ese documentation, they may be read & acknowledged by a wider percentage of the EU public rather than seen as confusing & bullheaded obey or be damned mentality which comes across depending on whose turn it is to spin!
Mac's ProQ CSG devotee.
Founder member of "Cheese club" ...it's like "Fight Club" only cheesier

Avatar courtesy of Thad Cox https://twitter.com/LimitedFun http://limitedfun.tumblr.com/
GUS
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Gus,
About a year ago I saw a Food program on Satelite from the UK. A 4th generation small salmon smoking business, producing the best slabs of smoked salmon I have ever seen, mentioned that EU regulations will be affecting his business in future. I was really pi---d off hearing that.
I just hope that the current UK government will tell these idiots in Brussels to go and jump.
You hit the nail right on the head about mentioning the burger and chicken takeaways involvement with sporting events.
It all comes down to money again for the big boys. It's happening here now already in a slightly different form.
Smoked sausages, fish and other charcuterie will have to become MOONSHINING operations in future.
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 pm

crustyo44 wrote:Smoked sausages, fish and other charcuterie will have to become MOONSHINING operations in future.
Cheers,
Jan.

Can I have a car like the General Lee?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Lee_(car)

:lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby quietwatersfarm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 am

crustyo44 wrote:Smoked sausages, fish and other charcuterie will have to become MOONSHINING operations in future.
Cheers,
Jan.

In many ways I agree, but dont see this a bad consequence. It makes people find other ways to get by, brings them closer to the source/customers and leaves all these politicians to their red tape.
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Laripu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:37 am

quietwatersfarm wrote:
Cheers,
Jan.

In many ways I agree, but dont see this a bad consequence. It makes people find other ways to get by, brings them closer to the source/customers and leaves all these politicians to their red tape.

What about people in cities?
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
Laripu
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 am

These is quite a lot of resistance building to all these new rules. It might not be as bad as suggested.
Personally I just hate EU politicians making up laws that make no sense, destroy generations up expertise in these businesses and after all, most of these guys have no experience at all apart from flapping their jaws excessively.
On that note,
Have a Great Week End.
Cheers,
Jan,
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Smoking and Barbecuing