Commercial Proofer

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Commercial Proofer

Postby rick54 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Was wondering if anyone has ever used a commercial holding and proofing cabinet for doing fermented sausage utilizing a culture? The cabinets usually offer a proofing temp up to 115 F with 95% humidity and a holding temp of up to 200 with 35% humidity. They also have an internal fan for even distribution of heat and steam.
rick54
Registered Member

Re: Commercial Proofer

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:19 pm

I've not used one - initial thoughts are that 115f is a lot higher than advised for most of the cultures in common usage.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby rick54 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Sorry for some confusion there Phil. The proof temp is adjustable from 80-115 with an adjustable humidity up to 95%. The holding temp is adjustable from 120-200 with a max. humidity of 30%. So when you use the holding setting, you get more heat and less humidity, and the other way around when using the proofing setting.
Hope that makes sense.
rick54
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:29 pm

I've been looking for a cheap one for years, but to make a smoker for sausages. My max temp when smoking is 175°f so they are perfect, plus the added humidity if you wanted it.
If you used a temperature controller to lower the maximum temp it would work nicely I bet.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rick54 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Dan, I think it might work. On the other-hand, why not cold smoke your sausage in a smoker, and then finish it in the proofing cabinet with some adjustable humidity and adjustable heat minus the smoke? That way you don't have to worry about venting and such like that which is found on a smoker.
Checkout your used restaurant equipment suppliers.
rick54
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:18 pm

rick54 wrote:Sorry for some confusion there Phil. The proof temp is adjustable from 80-115 with an adjustable humidity up to 95%. The holding temp is adjustable from 120-200 with a max. humidity of 30%. So when you use the holding setting, you get more heat and less humidity, and the other way around when using the proofing setting.
Hope that makes sense.

In that case, I'm sure they'll be fine.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby RodinBangkok » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Check the humidity tolerance, as a lot equipment for controlling humidity has a quite wide tolerance. The best most accurate systems will do a wet to dry bulb type sensing, which can be very accurate, others use a different sensor technology that is not as accurate as wet/dry bulb measurement. Calculating using wet/dry usually means more cost, as the control systems are more complicated. This is in general, not saying you can't find a cheaper unit that has good control. With all the PID controllers now out there that are so cheap I think with a little digging you can come up with a good wet/dry control system pretty cheap, if they already aren't on the market.
Another option are CVAP type holding units that have good humidity/temp controls. The other factor in buying this equipment is the standards that they may be able to meet. A lot of commercial equipment like this is rated for different industry standards such as NSF which can add costs compared to some that are not agency approved. The difference for the home user is not at all significant, it has mostly to do with Agency Inspection requirements.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies