Hot Dogs

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hot Dogs

Postby rick54 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:14 pm

I'm currently on a search for an all beef hotdog. I did try a all pork recipe on the "other" forum that called for 2 cups soy protein concentrate in the 10# recipe.
Now they are just okay, but I'm thinking that the soy protein added a off taste to the dog, that overwhelmed the main spices by giving, for a lack of a better description, a chalky taste, or filler taste, if that makes any sense.

In my search on this forum, I came across some recipes that called for light corn syrup and maybe some special binder. Surely nothing in large amounts that would give a distinctive off taste.

Also there was an ingredient I wasn't familiar with, supaphos. Could someone explain what it is and where to get it.

In conclusion, if someone could point me towards a nice tasting dog recipe, that doesn't use a lot of binder/filler concentrates, that would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't have to mimic a famous national brand either.
rick54
Registered Member

Re: Hot Dogs

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:31 pm

supaphos is a blend of phosphates that aid in retaining moister in you finished product. I beleive its a UK, European thing, in the states it called Amesphos but basically the same thing.
If you could update your info to include your location it would help in offering advice.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rick54 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:48 pm

Thank you Dan! I do have the Amesphos that you speak of, and I updated my location.
rick54
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:50 pm

I've read that 1-3% of soy concentrate is common max amount to add, and over that will effect the flavor.
Some quick math using some conversion tables online it looks like you added 290g to 4540g of mince or about 6%.
What recipe did you use?
I've had good luck with 1.5%
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rick54 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:44 pm

That sounds like it could be my problem then. What I really have to learn, is to only make about 5# rather than 10#. That way if I don't care for them, I won't feel all that bad feeding them to the dogs! LOL
rick54
Registered Member

Postby rick54 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Dan, another question comes to mind regarding my original question. You stated 1-3% of soy concentrate is usually the recommended amount.
Now this percentage, 1-3%, is this good for all the different binders used in sausage? Say a recipe called for powdered milk,corn syrup solids, or some other type of binder, would you stick to the 1-3% amount to avoid the chalky,mealy,pasty taste?
rick54
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:05 pm

A number of sausage makers here will tell you that these binders are not needed, I myself use them on occasion but not always.
Soy and NFDM are used at 1-3%, starches 1-5% and phosphates 0.3%-0.5%. This info is from Home production of Quality Meats and Sausages. By S. and A. Marianski

Heres a real good basic hot dog recipe From Len Poli. It's a bologna recipe but makes a great dog.
http://lpoli.50webs.com/index_files/Bologna.pdf

Here's a couple from the Marianski's that don't use a binder, both are very good.
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... rankfurter

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/hotdog
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby rick54 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:21 pm

Many thanks Dan for the information. I'm looking forward to giving these recipes a try. The Poli dog, do you include the liver? If not, do you add the bacon or just make up the difference in weight with additional meat?
rick54
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm quite keen on this one from Big Guy:

viewtopic.php?p=29465#29465

However, I use pork instead of the chicken.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:29 pm

rick54 wrote:If not, do you add the bacon or just make up the difference in weight with additional meat?

I've never done the liver, but have used the bacon and was great, but done it with just pork and beef and was awesome also. Like any recipe, it's up to the cook what they like. Enjoy and good luck
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Beginners