storage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

storage

Postby jaymo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I have seen a variety of opinions offered on this so I figured this would be a good place to ask:

What is the best way to store dry cured meat that I have made once it comes out of the curing chamber?
jaymo
Registered Member

Re: storage

Postby herjac » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I vacuum pack to prevent additional drying. In the past I used to put sopressata in tins with lard or veg oil but found it too messy.
herjac
Registered Member

Postby jaymo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Once it's vacuum sealed, what sort of a difference does freezing make vs just refrigeration?
jaymo
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:53 am

jaymo wrote:Once it's vacuum sealed, what sort of a difference does freezing make vs just refrigeration?

Freezing ends the maturing/flavour building ----- placing in the refrigerator is the opposite builds the flavour profile and matures
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Is there a storage limitation if put into the refrigerator? In the past I wrap the salami like I do Venison, in cling wrap, then again in freezer paper, if that makes a difference.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:24 am

montanaSalami wrote:Is there a storage limitation if put into the refrigerator?

To this date .... not that I have found

In the past I wrap the salami like I do Venison, in cling wrap, then again in freezer paper, if that makes a difference.

If you are using cling wrap or any such types of variants you are doing yourself a disservice as all these tend and will make things sweat

The best way to store in a fridge for short as well as very extended periods is to vacuum pack

Shelf life in a fridge vacuum packed (with a tight vacuum) is 5 years plus -- I have things in my fridge right now along these lines
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:49 am

I have venison and beef wrapped in cling wrap then freezer wrapped for over 4 years that is still good (in the freezer). I'm going to wrap the same way, and put in the fridge for a few months then move to the deep freezer till I get around to eating it. Several months in the fridge should be plenty of time to bring out any additional flavors.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Return to Beginners