Food Grade Silicone Spray

Where to buy, how to use. Stuffers, casings, spices, grinders, etc.

Food Grade Silicone Spray

Postby MarkD51 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Hello All,
Forgive me if this question has been asked before here.

A couple months back, I bought a small LEM #5 Meat Grinder. Really love this machine so far, smallest in the line, but quite robust, nicely finished, parts are solid. Glad I bought it

Anyway, maybe a dumb question, but all parts that are removeable and washable such as Auger, Auger Housing, Pan, Cutting Plates, and Knife are entirely Stainless Steel. I've been just simply presoaking parts after use with a mild All Purpose Cleaner, then a wash with Dawn, and a Bottle Brush.

I can understand for Carbon Steel Parts, a need to coat with something to prevent rust, but is it really necessary for Stainless Steel?
Thanks, Mark
MarkD51
Registered Member

Re: Food Grade Silicone Spray

Postby yotmon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Shouldn't think so - I would wash all the parts in hot soapy water and importantly rinse well and dry thoroughly before reassembling. Does any of the instructions mention the use of silicone spray ?
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:26 pm

I don’t think it is mandatory with stainless however I use the LEM brand food grade silicone spray on all my parts, even the stainless grinder. I figure it can't hurt and I also notice that it seems to aid when I clean it (meat doesn't stick as bad as when I didn't spray it). I suppose you could also just use a light rub of mineral oil if you wanted but like yotmon says, probably be fine without.

Although now it got me thinking, would a few drops of bleach in a washing solution cause oxidation on stainless steel? I usually wash in soap then soak in some hot water with a few drops of bleach to disinfect, then wash a quick dip in soapy water before rinsing. Maybe it is overkill but I think better safe than sorry. Does anyone know if a few drops of bleach in water can damage stainless? Spraying with silicone it always seems fine.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:47 pm

yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Equipment & Supplies