First timer - Any tips?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First timer - Any tips?

Postby Celjun » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Hello everyone. I'm an Irish man living in Louisiana and although I have experience making Boudin,aswell as many other types of smoked and green sausages, tomorrow I will attempt to make some Irish breakfast sausage for the first time. I will be using a 5 lb #8 LEM Grinder and my ingredients will be 4lbs of Boston butt (Fat ratio - 4:1) I'm gonna adjust the seasoning as I go but my main ingredients will be Salt, white pepper, Marjoram, Nut Meg, Ginger, Coriander and Bread Crumbs. What should be my main concerns as a first timer? All suggestions are welcome. :D
Celjun
Registered Member

Re: First timer - Any tips?

Postby yotmon » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Have a read of this post and play around with the spices to suit your palate.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11354
Yotmon.

Oh - and welcome to the forum ! :wink:
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby johngaltsmotor » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 pm

Main concern: liking it too much and realizing you didn't make enough :-D
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Probably your 'roots' kicking in ! Next you'll be having boiled bacon and a plateful of spuds. Don't forget the cabbage. Did you write down the ingredients for next time - a usual mistake on my part.

Mora na maidine dhuit !
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Return to Beginners