Sous Vide anyone ?

Introductions and chatter

Re: Sous Vide anyone ?

Postby Dingo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 pm

saucisson wrote:I did my ham on the stove the old fashioned way in the end because I discovered my vac bags weren't suitable for "boil in the bag/sous vide" :( I've ordered in some different ones.

Out of curiosity (and the fact that the wife and kids are visiting gramma/pa in Oz) i did a Sirloin in a deep pan of water on the stove top. Vac packed it and tried to maintain 135F. I had the time to sit around and monitor the water temps..however with my cooker i had a lot of difficulty maintaining 135F effectively. Ultimately, I ended up with a "well done" Sous vide steak. And let me say this, it wasn't the best steak I've eaten, however, it was the best "well done" steak i've ever eaten. Like i said..it was well done, but, it wasn't dry like a pan fried or grilled steak. It was juicy and flavorful, just not the texture i like in a steak.
So, as alluded to in this post....the "constant" temp is definitely the key. I've got some other sausage/salami projects planned that are taking up my time....but I will either build or buy a Sous Vide controller soon.
I think that sous vide could be done on a stove top, maybe a cooker that has finer control than mine.
I'm not giving up...even the well done steak was inspiring :D
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby Wunderdave » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:03 pm

Dingo,

There's some information on the web about doing short duration sous vide using a beer cooler and hot water that you pour in and stir.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook ... -hack.html

Probably easier to control than a pot on a stove top, imo.
Wunderdave
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks Wunderdave....i'll give that a try soon.
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby EnriqueB » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:48 pm

You may be interested in this: I compiled some time ago what I think is one of the most comprehensive list of sous-vide resources here (guides, tables, providers, technique, recipes, tips...) The text is in Spanish, but most links are in English. I add new links regularly.

And also food-safety links here, mostly related to sous-vide safety.
EnriqueB
Registered Member

Postby Jabba » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:58 am

I finally got round to making a SV cooker. The main parts are a 12l cool box and an element from a value kettle from Tesco, a solid state relay to switch power to the element, a tiny aquarium pump to circulate the water and the Arduino board to control the ssr and display the data on a LCD display.

The rotary encoder is used to set-up the the desired temperature and cooking time which are also data-logged on an SD card.

You can see the tempreature probe to the right of the pump and a glass thermometer at the bottom to check against the temp probe.

Now I've tested it I need to get in all wired up properly and put the electronics and a box. All in all, once I've finished it, it'll come to around £45 and will have taken me a weeks worth of evenings to build. First to be cooked is duck breasts for a Valentines meal tonight. A mate gave me one of his last pheasants of the season so that'll be done for friends coming over tomorrow.

Cheers,
Jamie
Jabba
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm

cottage industry?

I'll order!! :)
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Dingo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:04 pm

Awesome
Dingo
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm

Wow!!!

I got one of these for my Birthday on Monday... http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/giles-posne ... wwodgSYACA

No where near so magnificent as yours, but my first impressions on using it are favourable :)

48hr cooked pulled pork tonight :)
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:30 pm

Cool! 8)
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Pat Anderson » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:41 am

Our Anova sous vide machine has just shipped, can't wait for it to arrive!
Pat Anderson
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Chatter