Sage propagation

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Sage propagation

Postby yotmon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Just over a month ago I noticed a woody piece of Sage hanging off one of the bushes in my garden. I cleaned it up and put it in a jam jar full of water and placed it on the kitchen window sill. The leaves are very tiny and a few of them have died off but the rest appear to be alive and healthy. I expected it to throw a few roots out by this time but none have materialised. This may be because the stem is woody as opposed to being a soft wood cutting. What surprised me this morning was the appearance of two tiny buds as though its going to come into bloom. It's obviously alive and I do want to propagate it into a new bush, so what are the best ways of doing this ? I have thought of using 'hormone rooting powder' and then placing it into some river sand to see if that would promote root growth, or am I wasting my time seeing as the stem is completely woody.

Any advice would be welcome.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Sage propagation

Postby onewheeler » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:04 pm

I recall getting a sage cutting to grow years ago with the help of hormone rooting stuff and a mix of washed builder's sand and clay soil. It's pretty vigorous stuff.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby Salmo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:16 am

In my experience it is not unusual for woody cuttings to throw a few buds--------& then die.
Buds without roots to support them are doomed to die (again,in my experience)
If you're determined to try & save it,I would advise trying the hormone rooting powder but "rub out" the new shoots,as they will deprive the cutting of the vigour to throw roots.
You would probably have more luck waiting & getting some softwood/semi softwood cuttings from next seasons growth.
Good luck.
Give a man a fish,and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish,and you won't see him again for the rest of the season.
Salmo
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks Salmo - you're probably right. I haven't been able to obtain any rooting powder as yet but the branch is still hanging in there ! It appears to have taken on a 'Bonsai' effect with the leaves being miniature in stature including the buds. I realise that softwood cuttings would probably be more fruitful, but wanted to give this piece a chance rather than consign it to the compost bin. The original bush came from a packet of fresh herbs I picked up on their sell by date for a few pence - packed in Israel. I placed one in water and it rooted, so just shows how plants can hang on in there ! I need to call for some rooting powder just to see if I can give it a new lease of life.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:14 am

Yep, soft cuttings are preferred but woody cuttings will often root.
Do you have any type of willow in your neck-of-the-woods?
You can make a rooting "tea" from spring willow twigs.

=Martin=
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 am

HI DDF - never heard of the stuff - 'googled' it and it sounds the job ! I have tons of Willow growing around here - nearest tree is two minutes walk away. When you say 'spring' willow twigs, I take it you mean 'bendy' rather than the 'season' ? It's just that they are still dormant at the moment. Will give it a go for sure. Cheers.
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Dip the cutting in honey or crushed aspirin (originally made from willow)
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own