Newbie needing sausage recipes

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Newbie needing sausage recipes

Postby lala1984 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:58 am

Morning all

I'm finally getting round to using my Kenwood sausage making attachment and was wondering if anyone had any simple but tasty recipes.

Due to diet restrictions I am not adding any fat, breadcrumbs etc.

Has anyone got any recipes for this? Maybe a nice Cumberland, Lincolnshire type flavouring.

TIA

lala x
lala1984
Newly Registered

Re: Newbie needing sausage recipes

Postby NCPaul » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D At the top of this section is a beginners guide that has a large number of recipes. If you are omitting rusk from recipes, be sure to leave out added water or liquid as well.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Newbie needing sausage recipes

Postby vagreys » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 pm

lala1984 wrote:...Due to diet restrictions I am not adding any fat, breadcrumbs etc...

Welcome! You're really jumping into the deep end! What does "etc" mean?

One can easily make a sausage without breadcrumbs, from a recipe that calls for breadcrumbs or rusk. The texture and flavor will change, but there are entire traditions of sausage making that do not incorporate breadcrumbs or rusk. You can make a good sausage with Cumberland or Lincolnshire seasoning that doesn't include breadcrumbs, but you need to understand that it will not have the same bite and flavor as if you were eating a real Cumberland or Lincolnshire. It is much more difficult to make a tasty sausage without any fat or salt, both of which are necessary for the sausage to bind and develop good texture and flavor. It is possible to use much less fat and salt than many commercial sausages do. It is possible to use fat and salt substitutes. You need to understand the multiple roles that fat and salt play in the creation of a simple, tasty sausage, in order to substitute effectively.

We have some folks, here, who have dietary restrictions, and I'm sure they will be happy to advise you, when you have questions.

If you are serious about wanting to make good sausages, and have to accommodate special dietary restrictions, I'm going to suggest you reference a couple of books, to start:
1. To understand the ingredients and techniques of sausage making, Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski.
2. To learn how to use fat and salt substitutes for sausage making with dietary restrictions, Making Healthy Sausages, also by Stanley and Adam Marianski.

Good luck!
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Beginners